The False Back-Seam Re: Questions for Momoyama outfit

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2009
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "onewringgold" <onewringgold@...> wrote:

      > By a false seam, do you mean basically taking the center of the back panel (if it's one piece) and turning it under slightly like you would a flat-felled seam?

      My profound apologies for not responding to these sooner. I have been offline for a bit.

      All you need to do for a false back seam is fold the double-width back panel in half (outer side of the fabric inside of the fold) and use a line of running stitch to form the seam. The whole point is to save you from having to use a more complicated seam finishing treatment, flat-felling included.

      For Genevra-hime, taking in the sides will only take in the sides of your garment. Your false back seam can use as narrow a seam allowance as you can manage to make it - mine are often a total of 5/16" sewn by hand. If you press your fold first and use a machine, you could conceivably go even narrower.

      Good luck with your projects.