Re: Woodworking

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2009
      > Posted by: "David" elecwolf@... elecwolf
      >
      > I also have been lucky enough to have found a great source for the wood.
      > But I would like people I could talk with and possibly even see in action...

      Where are you located? There are classes on this sort of thing in the SF
      Bay area and other places.
      > I would love to start by doing the tabidansu you all were so kind to introduce me to. But general furniture is always a good start. Or if there are certain items a traditional woodworker would start with... I intend to stick to hand tools and only borrow the occasional power tool if I absolutely have to.

      Nothing wrong with that. If you use mostly handtools you can work in a
      pretty small space inside your home or even on a covered patio in good
      weather. Get a good shop vac if you go this route.

      Japanese Woodworking Tools: Their Tradition, Spirit, and Use by Toshio Odate

      They have or had an associated school:
      http://www.japanwoodworker.com/page.asp?content_id=10090

      I have purchases chisels and saws from them, I do like the Japanese pull
      saws with the impulse hardened teeth, they work great on most softwoods.

      While I've found books with some details on Tansu construction in
      English, I've never found a step by step guide. I would be interested
      though in Japanese language books if anyone has good recommendations though.

      One caveat about some methods of tansu construction, they are not
      suitable for centrally heated modern western houses, they can't take
      extreme changes in moisture.

      Jim