Woodworking

  • David
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2009
      I'm seeking sources on Japanese woodworking.
      I have found like one forum, with no posts since like 2007, and a couple places that sell the tools.
      I also have been lucky enough to have found a great source for the wood.
      But I would like people I could talk with and possibly even see in action...

      Thank you all in advance.
      David "Okabi" Mc.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2009

        > I'm seeking sources on Japanese woodworking.
        > I have found like one forum, with no posts since like 2007, and a
        > couple places that sell the tools.
        > I also have been lucky enough to have found a great source for the
        > wood.
        > But I would like people I could talk with and possibly even see in
        > action...
        What kind of woodworking are you interested in? Are you interested in
        building a house, making furniture, making small items for specific
        purposes, &c. ?? Also, can you tolerate books where the text is
        either all or in part in Japanese? Can you deal with books in metric?
        Can you deal with books using pre-modern measurements?

      • David
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2009

          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig!
          > > I'm seeking sources on Japanese woodworking.
          > > I have found like one forum, with no posts since like 2007, and a
          > > couple places that sell the tools.
          > > I also have been lucky enough to have found a great source for the
          > > wood.
          > > But I would like people I could talk with and possibly even see in
          > > action...
          > What kind of woodworking are you interested in? Are you interested in
          > building a house, making furniture, making small items for specific
          > purposes, &c. ?? Also, can you tolerate books where the text is
          > either all or in part in Japanese? Can you deal with books in metric?
          > Can you deal with books using pre-modern measurements?
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

          I would love to start by doing the tabidansu you all were so kind to introduce me to. But general furniture is always a good start. Or if there are certain items a traditional woodworker would start with... I intend to stick to hand tools and only borrow the occasional power tool if I absolutely have to.
          My command of the Japanese language is abysmal at best. I try as much as I can to learn but seem to have trouble.
          Standard/metric, no biggie, the ruler has both. Pre-modern I can handle if I have some way to convert.

          David "Okabe" Mc.
        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2009
            > Posted by: "David" elecwolf@... elecwolf
            >
            > I also have been lucky enough to have found a great source for the wood.
            > But I would like people I could talk with and possibly even see in action...

            Where are you located? There are classes on this sort of thing in the SF
            Bay area and other places.
            > I would love to start by doing the tabidansu you all were so kind to introduce me to. But general furniture is always a good start. Or if there are certain items a traditional woodworker would start with... I intend to stick to hand tools and only borrow the occasional power tool if I absolutely have to.

            Nothing wrong with that. If you use mostly handtools you can work in a
            pretty small space inside your home or even on a covered patio in good
            weather. Get a good shop vac if you go this route.

            Japanese Woodworking Tools: Their Tradition, Spirit, and Use by Toshio Odate

            They have or had an associated school:
            http://www.japanwoodworker.com/page.asp?content_id=10090

            I have purchases chisels and saws from them, I do like the Japanese pull
            saws with the impulse hardened teeth, they work great on most softwoods.

            While I've found books with some details on Tansu construction in
            English, I've never found a step by step guide. I would be interested
            though in Japanese language books if anyone has good recommendations though.

            One caveat about some methods of tansu construction, they are not
            suitable for centrally heated modern western houses, they can't take
            extreme changes in moisture.

            Jim