Traditional Japanese Literature

  • David
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2009
      Fellow Fans*,
      I just wanted to share with you all that I got my copy in the mail today and am currently reading it as voraciously as I can.
      Thank you, Abe Akirakeiko.

      David "Okabe" Mc.

      *For want of a better term. At one point in time I knew the phrase that meant something to the effect of "Being Japanese in your heart".
      I had read it in a story about a Karate teacher speaking to his class about how he saw them and the bonsai trees he had made out of American species. Not sure if this is clear but I'm hoping someone can find that phrase...
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2009
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "David" <elecwolf@...> wrote:
        > *For want of a better term. At one point in time I knew the phrase that meant something to the effect of "Being Japanese in your heart".
        > I had read it in a story about a Karate teacher speaking to his class about how he saw them and the bonsai trees he had made out of American species. Not sure if this is clear but I'm hoping someone can find that phrase...

        "Henna gaijin" ("strange foreigner") may be the term you're looking for.

      • David
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 13, 2009

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "David" <elecwolf@> wrote:
          > > *For want of a better term. At one point in time I knew the phrase that meant something to the effect of "Being Japanese in your heart".
          > > I had read it in a story about a Karate teacher speaking to his class about how he saw them and the bonsai trees he had made out of American species. Not sure if this is clear but I'm hoping someone can find that phrase...
          >
          > "Henna gaijin" ("strange foreigner") may be the term you're looking for.
          >
          > Saionji no Hanae
          > West Kingdom

          Not really...
          It's more friendly. You're not calling someone a foreigner it's more like you're saying 'You are close enough to being Japanese to be tolerable'. Or something. It still seems like 'Japanese at heart'.