Re: [SCA-JML] "Putting it on."

  • Jamie Ritter
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 8, 2009
      Definately not overkill.
      Fuyu

      "Well behaved women rarely made history"

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 9, 2009
        where is the link??? I need to see it..please

        Jeanel Walker aka Eilionoria "Takinaga" Kisimull

        From: wodeford <wodeford@yahoo. com>

        To: sca-jml@yahoogroups .com

        Date: Wednesday, April 8, 2009, 6:59 PM

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 9, 2009
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

          > where is the link??? I need to see it..please

          What link, the one that doesn't exist yet?

          Saionji no Be Patient, Please, I Work For A Living
          West Kingdom
        • Jeanel Walker
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 9, 2009
            LOL...me so stupid....I'm always miss reading...I thought I just missed it.
            Do you have any idea if the heian ladies that wore the court attire neckline, was there neck line in the back as low as the gasha kimonos or was it a modest cut no so low I know it was layered and you can see cenimeater by centermeater each layer.

            any help would be most humbly used
            thank you

            Jeanel Walker aka Eilionoria "Takinaga" Kisimull

            > where is the link??? I need to see it..please

            What link, the one that doesn't exist yet?

            Saionji no Be Patient, Please, I Work For A Living

          • Misha
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 9, 2009
              Yes a step by step to getting dressed would be wonderful, especially for this newbie, LOL

              Itoh Sayuri
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 9, 2009
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:
                > Do you have any idea if the heian ladies that wore the court attire neckline, was there neck line in the back as low as the gasha kimonos or was it a modest cut no so low I know it was layered and you can see cenimeater by centermeater each layer.

                Nobody hoiked their collars back that far in period. Even if it weren't considered scandalously immodest, it's pretty near impossible to make it stay that way unless you have a wide obi to anchor everything else in place. (I tried once as an experiment - as soon as I moved, everything fell forward and I had immodest gappage in the front too.)

                http://wodefordhall.com/editorials.htm may be of interest, particularly the "Front Tied Obi Myth."

                Please, go look at the pictures at the Kyoto Costume Museum at
                http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ Unless it's a courtesan or asobime (play girl) in any of the eras prior to Edo, the women all have their necks modestly covered.

              • Melanie Wing
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 9, 2009

                  > This has been a week for questions - then again, when is it not?
                  >
                  > It occurs to me that it can't hurt - and might help - if I added yet more content to the kosode section on my website. Would anyone find it helpful if I slapped a camera on a tripod this weekend and shot myself in stages of getting dressed or is that overkill?
                  >
                  > Saionji no Does That Wheel Need Reinventing?
                  > West Kingdom

                  Not overkill. I for one have trouble with written instructions much of the time and actually seeing something step by step in pictures is very helpful.

                  -Mel
                • JL Badgley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 9, 2009
                    On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 8:59 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
                    > This has been a week for questions - then again, when is it not?
                    >
                    > It occurs to me that it can't hurt - and might help - if I added yet more content to the kosode section on my website. Would anyone find it helpful if I slapped a camera on a tripod this weekend and shot myself in stages of getting dressed or is that overkill?

                    I don't think overkill--while there are other sites with similar
                    things, but there is definitely a dearth of such sites in English.

                    That said, for anyone out there who is willing to purchase it, there
                    is a book in Japanese (ISBN 978-4-7739-0702-5):
                    "時代衣裳の着つけ"

                    Do an ISBN search on amazon.co.jp and it comes up with new and used
                    around JPY5000 (lists on the book for JPY 3800, so it may be cheaper
                    elsewhere).

                    Anyway, it shows you how to get dressed in the costume museum's...

                    ...suikan (shirabyoshi)
                    ...kazami
                    ...tsubo-shozoku
                    ...uchikake
                    ...(men's) sokutai (hoeki no ho)
                    and junihitoe.

                    For everyone who is looking for pictures of how to get dressed,
                    various accessories, this is a very helpful book, even though it is
                    fairly slim.

                    > Saionji no Does That Wheel Need Reinventing?
                    > West Kingdom

                    In this dew drop world,
                    Even in these latter days,
                    There is but one wheel
                    Ever turning, round and round
                    Through many incarnations.

                    -Ii no I have my waka for the day...
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 20, 2009
                      I have not forgotten you, ladies. I've been working on some revisions to the kosode page which I hope to have finished and uploaded by the end of the week - sooner, if possible.

                      As soon as time permits, I will see what I can put together for you using the old self-timer and tripod method. (I recently acquired a new camera and I am still learning what it is capable of.)

                      Saionji no Not Enough Hours In My Day
                      West Kingdom
                    • Sonja Burns
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009