Re: Feast gear

    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 27, 2009
      > Oribe is a Japanese pottery that often incorporates green and whitish glazes, frequently with additional figures on it. I believe it dates from about the 16th century.

      Using it as a shameless excuse to field test a new digital camera, I hit San Francisco's Asian Art Museum last night. This particular basket shaped bowl has a typical "Oribe" glaze (green and cream with brown figures) and dates from the 16th century.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/3389200346/in/set-72157615959651100/

      It occurs to me NOW that I probably should have shot an example of celadon, though the most of the celadons the Asian has are Chinese and Korean wares.

      (If you decide to roam around the set further, I'm afraid I haven't labeled anything in that batch. The basket is from the Momoyama period, as are the two holy men scrolls and the folding screen with the birds. The noh robe is 20th century, but it's definitely in a period style. The koto, monkey paintings and Tale of the Heike folding screen are all Edo period. Everything from the crystal ox through the tinted photograph are all from the Chinese collection, including that view into the jade room.)

      Enjoy,
    • Jeanel Walker
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
        Konnichi wa!!!
        I dont meant to dig up an old mail issue but what do I use at Feast for a knife..in Japanese food it would be all cut up for me...I dont think I should use my nice katana at the table for the others would prob think I was just boasting ..so my inquary is what type of kife wear did they use when you just cant swallow a bore down with one bite??? =)

        "bows respectfuly trying not to snicker at the thought of everyone face at the table when trying to use my very long sword to cut my meat"

        Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

      • Sonny Scott
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
          When in foreign lands, one sometimes has to adopt foreign customs.

          ________________________________

          http://i249. photobucket. com/albums/ gg208/brytephyre /Takinagadevises m.jpg
          http://i249. photobucket. com/albums/ gg208/brytephyre /Eilionoriadevic esm.jpg

          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

            > Konnichi wa!!!
            > I dont meant to dig up an old mail issue but what do I use at Feast for a knife.

            You have two choices.

            1. Don't attend the feast - after all, a Heian lady would not be seen eating among gaping barbarians.

            2. Remember that you are a guest in a Western court, behave accordingly and use a knife as your tablemates do.

            Please do not pull out a weapon at the table. That's rude in any culture.

          • Bryant Richards
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
              I just use a generic feast knife I got from a merchant at Border Raids. But I have seen someone use a katana letter opener that they sharpened.

              In Honor and Service,
              Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                For a japanese feast gear knife, you could use a small tanto-style
                knife- it would allow you to cut your food, and still look alright with
                the rest of your japanese kit.
                -Hirokawa no Tsuru
              • Rick Johnson
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                  >> But I have seen someone use a katana letter opener that they sharpened.

                  Ah yes! The letter opener!
                  I used to carry one of those as my tanto.

                  Today I stand before my wall and argue with myself?
                  ..."Cold Steel Warrior Tanto?"
                  ..."Paul Chen Practical Plus Tanto?"
                  ..."Hanwei Tiger tanto?"
                  ..."Kris Cutlery tanto?"
                  ...one of my cheapie s/s wall-hangers?
                  ... "No! Wait! I just ordered the CS Kwaiken! maybe that one?"

                  I think for cutting meat and other foods at a barbarian feast, I'd rather leave my good blades in my obi and cut with my cheap stainless tanto I bought for $3 at a swap meet that is barely more than a blade, wood handle and some cloth I wrapped around the handle for looks.
                  When done i can hide it in my bag with my hashi and bowl.

                  Rick Johnson,
                  PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
                  geocities.com/RikJohnson39
                  "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security will soon find that they have neither!"

                  Please note: message attached

                  From: Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...>
                  To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:15:11 -0700 (PDT)

                • Rick Johnson
                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                    At the risk of sounding a fool,

                    I recall one person who used his PC Tanto (about $200) for that purpose.
                    I joked, "I don't EVER want to see you misusing that knife again! That tanto is made for killing PEOPLE, not carving an apple!"

                    Saki! I am such a cheap drunk.

                    From: aimee brooks <rjb@...>
                    To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:15:24 -0300

                  • Chibasama Ryuichiro
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                      I'm no expert by far, but isn't it considered proper to bite off of pieces
                      that are too big? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

                      Since adopting a Japanese persona, I've eaten every feast with
                      chopsticks...and some of the menus have provided quite a challenge. I think
                      a couple of those guys specifically chose stuff that would be funny to watch
                      me try to eat ;) Ice cream was one of my faves...not as challenging as it
                      seemed it might be, and impressed the locals 8)

                      When steak was on the menu, I asked for it to be cooked on the rare
                      side...it was easier for me to bite off a hunk. Chicken tears easily with
                      'sticks. Noodles and soupy items are tricky, but shoveling/slurping is ok
                      (I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong), so they're kinda fun.

                      Live, Love, Learn!
                      -Chiba

                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                        Japanese were very practical people. Of course they used small utility
                        knifes when dealing with food. Some are called kozuka, they could be
                        plain or ornate, and sometimes were even mounted in the scabbard of the
                        katana. However single edged knives of a variety of sorts were used,
                        including triangular bladed, wooden handled kitchen knives, like the
                        sushi knives you can by in a Japanese grocery store.

                        You would not use an actual tanto for food I think. Killing and eating,
                        are different things. The sword is the soul of the samurai. Not a steak
                        knife.

                        Miyake Nobuhiro
                      • JL Badgley
                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                          On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM, aimee brooks <rjb@...> wrote:
                          > For a japanese feast gear knife, you could use a small tanto-style
                          > knife- it would allow you to cut your food, and still look alright with
                          > the rest of your japanese kit.
                          > -Hirokawa no Tsuru

                          Japan did have knives. They just weren't usually brought out to the
                          table, but there is no reason you can't get a Japanese knife for your
                          feast gear. I'm not sure what shapes would be appropriate, but I
                          don't think anyone would say anything about most modern Japanese knife
                          shapes. If you are really concerned, though, look through the
                          iconography and other sources to see what they actually had.

                          -Ii
                        • James Miyake
                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                            kogatana is the actual generic name I meant to use for knife. Kozuka
                            tend to mean the decorative handle part ... my apologies...
                            Who had that tanto?