Re: Warrior on the Military Channel

  • autumnriver
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 23, 2009

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sekinakagawa@ wrote:

      > While not an authentic approach (because they didn't have Lycra in >the 16th century!), your friend might consider a sports bra under her >kosode. I find it gives me a nice, smooth look at the bust.

      As a woman with a generous bosom, I second this advice. The sports bra does help smooth the look.

      A second piece of advice that I've discovered when making my own kosode: if you are busty, do give yourself plenty of room, even if you have to expand your pattern a bit. I also ended up making my eri (collars) a little longer because the standard size (the measurement I got from Saionji-dono's page) just didn't reach completely across my bust. I solved this by experimenting with a tape measure to get a general idea of length and scrap cloth to make sure it looked okay at the proper width.

      PS: this advice works for those husky fellows as well. While making a Mongolian del (those collared coats) for my husband (6'1, 316 lbs), I had to rework the pattern I was given and also extend the collar so that it looked correct on my husband. I think Saionji-dono's page has a link to similar advice on how to adapt the kosode pattern to a larger person (man), but as a woman, I particularly found that extending the collar helped because that's where my extra weight was.

      Hope this helps.

      Ki no Kotori (or Ootori, as the case may be)