Feast gear ? and childrens clothes

  • Misha
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 22, 2009
      Greetings,
      I am wondering what is the minimum feast gear I could get away with to start?
      Also, what would Heian period children have worn?
      Thanks you
      Itoh Sayuri
    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 22, 2009
        --- On Sun, 3/22/09, Misha <agrona379@...> wrote:
        Greetings,
        I am wondering what is the minimum feast gear I could get away with to start?
        Also, what would Heian period children have worn?
        Thanks you
        Itoh Sayuri

        For feast gear, what has worked extremely well for us is a collection of plastic rice bowls that look like lacquerware. These bowls are approx 4.5 inches in diameter and about 2.5 inches high. Like this:
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RQVYZG/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
        These bowls can be used for soup or stew, solids, or for drinks. I recommend about 3 per person. Most of them stack, so they are easy to store. (We have collected different designs for different seasons and for variety.) Also chopsticks, of course, a knife (for those uncivilized western foods that aren't cut up) and a tray or flat plate is also useful.

        For children's wear -
        The Costume Museum, Costume History, Heian period index:
        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/index.htm
        Has a few examples of dress for young girls and boys.

        Best of luck in your searches.
        Ki no Izumi
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 22, 2009

          > I am wondering what is the minimum feast gear I could get away with
          > to start?
          A rice bow and a soup bowl. Both ideally have lids. And a dish for
          vegetables. Finally, a pair of chop sticks. This is what those
          carpenters that Sei Shonagon complaining about had. In addition to
          your rice bowl and soup bowl, you should probably have a dish for
          pickles, a dish for dry food, and a dish for wet food. You can add
          small dishes for condiments and what naught. Common condiments
          included such things as salt, so, vinegar, &c.
          > Also, what would Heian period children have worn?
          It depends on their ages. Very young children might be wearing not
          much more than a bib. Think pictures of Kintarō.

          Now for an interesting piece of Japanese more or less modern culture.
          You can buy these miniature tableware sets to commemorate baby's
          first go at solid food. They are rather expensive and too small for
          use by adults.

          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 22, 2009
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:
            > For feast gear, what has worked extremely well for us is a collection of plastic rice bowls that look like lacquerware.

            Not sure what's available in your part of the known world, but these folks have a good assortment of serveware and utensils at reasonable prices. Check out some of the "miso soup bowls" with lids here.
            http://www.buy4asianlife.com/eshop/ids_cate_fisrt.asp?CurPage=2&subcate=SC50&cate=C30&desc=&desc2=&order=&brand=

            and

            http://www.buy4asianlife.com/eshop/ids_cate_fisrt.asp?CurPage=3&subcate=SC50&cate=C30&desc=&desc2=&order=&brand=

            The plastic "lacquerware" has the advantage of being unbreakable and some of it can be fairly nice looking. If you're willing to pack it carefully, however, pottery or porcelain bowls and plates are nice too.

            Japanese chopsticks are usually about 9" long, Chinese ones can be a bit longer. (Sometimes you can find disposable ones at restaurant supply companies or Asian markets: not bad to have in one's camp kitchen or picnic basket if one has unexpected guests to share one's meals with!}

            The Japanese didn't use knives at the table, however, we are frequently guests at Western feasts where our strange and barbaric hosts serve large gobbets of meat or fish that must be dealt with. A decent knife that will cut meat is a useful thing to have.

            You'll also want something to keep it all in. A basket or box with a lid is a bit safer than just tossing it in a wrapping cloth (see previous posts on "furoshiki")and hoping things won't get broken.

            As a practical matter, one sometimes ends up having to take home dirty dishes from an event: plastic bags are good to keep on hand.

          • Misha
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 23, 2009
              > http://www.buy4asianlife.com/eshop/ids_cate_fisrt.asp?CurPage=2&subcate=SC50&cate=C30&desc=&desc2=&order=&brand=
              >
              > and
              >
              > http://www.buy4asianlife.com/eshop/ids_cate_fisrt.asp?CurPage=3&subcate=SC50&cate=C30&desc=&desc2=&order=&brand=

              Greetings,

              Many thanks for the link Saionji-hime, unfortunately I am unable to order from that company. Do you know of any companies that are in or would ship to Canada?

              Thank you,
              Itoh Sayuri
              Kingdom of Ealdormere
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 23, 2009
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Misha" <agrona379@...> wrote:
                > Many thanks for the link Saionji-hime, unfortunately I am unable to order from that company. Do you know of any companies that are in or would ship to Canada?

                Not offhand. Try doing a web search on Japanese restaurant supplies, maybe?

                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 23, 2009

                  > Many thanks for the link Saionji-hime, unfortunately I am unable to
                  > order from that company. Do you know of any companies that are in
                  > or would ship to Canada?

                  There is a small and very overpriced shop on College or was it
                  University in Toronto. Basically, it is South of Bloor on a street
                  that more or less intersects Howland. (Yes, Howland changes names at
                  Bloor, but I can't recall what it's called South of Bloor.)

                  I think that Nichibeibuson http://www.nbstore.com/ will ship to
                  Canada, but you will have to call them on the phone as they insist on
                  that for shipments to Alaska, Hawai'i and other places outside of the
                  lower 48.

                  There is an international mail order service located in Japan. I have
                  succeeded in ordering from them recently. They are called rakuten

                  http://event.rakuten.co.jp/en/

                  However, many of their merchants have Japanese only web pages.

                • Grant
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 23, 2009

                    > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Misha" <agrona379@> wrote:
                    > > Many thanks for the link Saionji-hime, unfortunately I am unable to order from that company. Do you know of any companies that are in or would ship to Canada?
                    >
                    > Not offhand. Try doing a web search on Japanese restaurant supplies, maybe?
                    >
                    > Saionji no Hanae
                    > West Kingdom

                    http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/category/chopsticks-household

                    Has a lot of nice Japanese supplies at a reasonable price. Plus if you're into Japanese food in general, they have a great selection. (I love the red bean buns from there).

                    -Yoshi
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 23, 2009

                      Greetings from Solveig! You can do worse than the following soup bowl:

                      Red/Black 8 oz. Soup Bowl With Lid/5 Pieces
                      http://www.sushi-knifes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
                      Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SKAA&Product_Code=68-4&Category_Code=SB

                      You can do worse than one of the following rice bowls:
                      http://www.sushi-knifes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
                      Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SKAA&Product_Code=5705TM&Category_Code=SB
                      http://www.sushi-knifes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
                      Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SKAA&Product_Code=F819&Category_Code=RB

                      I am running out of time, but try to also get some rectangular or
                      round small plates in either white, celeron, cobalt blue, dark brown,
                      or in an oribe pattern.

                    • Barbara Nostrand
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 23, 2009

                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 23, 2009
                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@...> wrote:
                            > I am running out of time, but try to also get some rectangular or
                            > round small plates in either white, celeron, cobalt blue, dark brown,
                            > or in an oribe pattern.

                            Celeron is a type of computer processor. I believe Solveig-hime is referring to celadon, which is a pale greenish ceramic glaze found all over East Asia.

                            Oribe is a Japanese pottery that often incorporates green and whitish glazes, frequently with additional figures on it. I believe it dates from about the 16th century - will fact-check further when I get home and post some links on Japanese ceramics I have bookmarked on my machine there.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 23, 2009
                              > Oribe is a Japanese pottery that often incorporates green and whitish glazes, frequently with additional figures on it. I believe it dates from about the 16th century - will fact-check further when I get home and post some links on Japanese ceramics I have bookmarked on my machine there.

                              http://www.e-yakimono.net/
                              http://www.artjapan.com/TEBIKI-E/1.html

                              I have some extremely poor photos of some 16th century oribe pieces in San Francisco's Asian Art Museum, which aren't worth uploading because of blur and dim lighting. However, the Freer Sackler Galleries in Washington DC have a staggering collection of Japanese ceramics and if you're interested in browsing through it, you may do so here:
                              http://www.asia.si.edu/collections/japaneseHome.htm

                              Enjoy,
                            • JL Badgley
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 23, 2009
                                On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 6:56 PM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

                                > Oribe is a Japanese pottery that often incorporates green and whitish glazes, frequently with additional figures on it. I believe it dates from about the 16th century - will fact-check further when I get home and post some links on Japanese ceramics I have bookmarked on my machine there.

                                According to Dictionary.goo.ne.jp, Oribe-yaki (織部焼) seems to appear
                                around the late 16th century. Ryori Monogatari actually uses it
                                specifically as an apparent reference for liquid measure in one
                                recipe:

                                玉子酒 玉子をあけ。ひや酒をすこしづゝ入。よくときて塩をすこし入。かんをして出候也。たまご一つにさけおりべに三盃入よし。

                                Tamago-zake [Break] open an egg. Put in a little cold sake.
                                Dissolve well and put in a little salt. Warm and serve. It is good
                                to put three /oribe/ cups of sake* in one egg. (Rough translation)

                                That, and several other things, appears to indicate that the
                                oribe-ware cups were famous enough and uniform enough to be used as a
                                kind of measure, at least by the mid-17th century.*

                                -Ii

                                *Assuming I'm translating it correctly.
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 24, 2009
                                  Ii dono!

                                  > 玉子酒 玉子をあけ。ひや酒をすこしづゝ入。よくときて塩をすこし
                                  > 入。かんをして出候也。たまご一つにさけおりべに三盃入よし。

                                  I agree that the appearance of oribe is puzzling. But, I think that
                                  it is a presentation note as the sentence concludes with a measure of
                                  sorts.

                                • JL Badgley
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 24, 2009
                                    2009/3/24 Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>:
                                    > Ii dono!
                                    >
                                    >> 玉子酒 玉子をあけ。ひや酒をすこしづゝ入。よくときて塩をすこし
                                    >> 入。かんをして出候也。たまご一つにさけおりべに三盃入よし。
                                    >
                                    > I agree that the appearance of oribe is puzzling. But, I think that
                                    > it is a presentation note as the sentence concludes with a measure of
                                    > sorts.

                                    The problem with the measure, is what is one cup?

                                    I'd be interested to see Hirano's translation again, as I'm pretty
                                    sure he translated it as "three oribe cups of sake", but in reading
                                    the original I keep vacillating. I do figure that it is specifically
                                    talking about an oribe-sakazuki, which Goo defines as:

                                    非常に浅くて開いた形の杯。古田織部の創製という織部焼の杯。おりべ。

                                    So that could be any oribe-ware cup, or, specifically, a shallow, open
                                    shaped cup.

                                    So I guess it could say:

                                    "1 egg, sake: 3 cups in an oribe (cup), is good." But then, three
                                    cups + 1 egg in only one cup? That doesn't make much sense. Plurals
                                    being undefined, it could be poured into a different type of
                                    oribe-ware, or into multiple cups, but I'm still not sure that it fits
                                    with other directions in the rest of the text. I would expect it to
                                    say something like:

                                    たまご一つにさけ三盃入よし。何れもおりべに出し候吉。

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 25, 2009
                                      Ii dono!

                                      Greetings from Solveig!

                                      > 2009/3/24 Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>:
                                      >> Ii dono!
                                      >>
                                      >>> 玉子酒 玉子をあけ。ひや酒をすこしづゝ入。
                                      >>> よくときて塩をすこし
                                      >>> 入。かんをして出候也。たまご一つにさけおり
                                      >>> べに三盃入よし。
                                      >>
                                      >> I agree that the appearance of oribe is puzzling. But, I think that
                                      >> it is a presentation note as the sentence concludes with a measure of
                                      >> sorts.
                                      >
                                      > The problem with the measure, is what is one cup?

                                      The default for sake especially by that time is a fairly shallow
                                      lacquer or ceramic saucer currently used in the sake ceremony as part
                                      of a chaji.

                                      http://sara3333.img.jugem.jp/20071022_386437.jpg

                                      I believe that the reference to oribe is simply expressing a
                                      preference for an oribe glaze pattern.

                                      You do know that I have been puttering along on my own translation
                                      of 料理物語 since around 1994 or thereabouts when I discovered a
                                      copy in the University of Toronto Library? That just goes to show
                                      just how monumentally unproductive I can be. I do, however, at this
                                      time have a six foot bookcase full of books about pre-modern Japanese
                                      food and what naught. Yes, my biggest addiction took solid hold of me.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 27, 2009
                                        > Oribe is a Japanese pottery that often incorporates green and whitish glazes, frequently with additional figures on it. I believe it dates from about the 16th century.

                                        Using it as a shameless excuse to field test a new digital camera, I hit San Francisco's Asian Art Museum last night. This particular basket shaped bowl has a typical "Oribe" glaze (green and cream with brown figures) and dates from the 16th century.
                                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/3389200346/in/set-72157615959651100/

                                        It occurs to me NOW that I probably should have shot an example of celadon, though the most of the celadons the Asian has are Chinese and Korean wares.

                                        (If you decide to roam around the set further, I'm afraid I haven't labeled anything in that batch. The basket is from the Momoyama period, as are the two holy men scrolls and the folding screen with the birds. The noh robe is 20th century, but it's definitely in a period style. The koto, monkey paintings and Tale of the Heike folding screen are all Edo period. Everything from the crystal ox through the tinted photograph are all from the Chinese collection, including that view into the jade room.)

                                        Enjoy,
                                      • Jeanel Walker
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                                          Konnichi wa!!!
                                          I dont meant to dig up an old mail issue but what do I use at Feast for a knife..in Japanese food it would be all cut up for me...I dont think I should use my nice katana at the table for the others would prob think I was just boasting ..so my inquary is what type of kife wear did they use when you just cant swallow a bore down with one bite??? =)

                                          "bows respectfuly trying not to snicker at the thought of everyone face at the table when trying to use my very long sword to cut my meat"

                                          Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

                                        • Sonny Scott
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                                            When in foreign lands, one sometimes has to adopt foreign customs.

                                            ________________________________

                                            http://i249. photobucket. com/albums/ gg208/brytephyre /Takinagadevises m.jpg
                                            http://i249. photobucket. com/albums/ gg208/brytephyre /Eilionoriadevic esm.jpg

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

                                              > Konnichi wa!!!
                                              > I dont meant to dig up an old mail issue but what do I use at Feast for a knife.

                                              You have two choices.

                                              1. Don't attend the feast - after all, a Heian lady would not be seen eating among gaping barbarians.

                                              2. Remember that you are a guest in a Western court, behave accordingly and use a knife as your tablemates do.

                                              Please do not pull out a weapon at the table. That's rude in any culture.

                                            • Bryant Richards
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                                                I just use a generic feast knife I got from a merchant at Border Raids. But I have seen someone use a katana letter opener that they sharpened.

                                                In Honor and Service,
                                                Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                                                  For a japanese feast gear knife, you could use a small tanto-style
                                                  knife- it would allow you to cut your food, and still look alright with
                                                  the rest of your japanese kit.
                                                  -Hirokawa no Tsuru
                                                • Rick Johnson
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                                                    >> But I have seen someone use a katana letter opener that they sharpened.

                                                    Ah yes! The letter opener!
                                                    I used to carry one of those as my tanto.

                                                    Today I stand before my wall and argue with myself?
                                                    ..."Cold Steel Warrior Tanto?"
                                                    ..."Paul Chen Practical Plus Tanto?"
                                                    ..."Hanwei Tiger tanto?"
                                                    ..."Kris Cutlery tanto?"
                                                    ...one of my cheapie s/s wall-hangers?
                                                    ... "No! Wait! I just ordered the CS Kwaiken! maybe that one?"

                                                    I think for cutting meat and other foods at a barbarian feast, I'd rather leave my good blades in my obi and cut with my cheap stainless tanto I bought for $3 at a swap meet that is barely more than a blade, wood handle and some cloth I wrapped around the handle for looks.
                                                    When done i can hide it in my bag with my hashi and bowl.

                                                    Rick Johnson,
                                                    PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
                                                    geocities.com/RikJohnson39
                                                    "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security will soon find that they have neither!"

                                                    Please note: message attached

                                                    From: Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...>
                                                    To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                                                    Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:15:11 -0700 (PDT)

                                                  • Rick Johnson
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                                                      At the risk of sounding a fool,

                                                      I recall one person who used his PC Tanto (about $200) for that purpose.
                                                      I joked, "I don't EVER want to see you misusing that knife again! That tanto is made for killing PEOPLE, not carving an apple!"

                                                      Saki! I am such a cheap drunk.

                                                      From: aimee brooks <rjb@...>
                                                      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                                                      Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:15:24 -0300

                                                    • Chibasama Ryuichiro
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                                                        I'm no expert by far, but isn't it considered proper to bite off of pieces
                                                        that are too big? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

                                                        Since adopting a Japanese persona, I've eaten every feast with
                                                        chopsticks...and some of the menus have provided quite a challenge. I think
                                                        a couple of those guys specifically chose stuff that would be funny to watch
                                                        me try to eat ;) Ice cream was one of my faves...not as challenging as it
                                                        seemed it might be, and impressed the locals 8)

                                                        When steak was on the menu, I asked for it to be cooked on the rare
                                                        side...it was easier for me to bite off a hunk. Chicken tears easily with
                                                        'sticks. Noodles and soupy items are tricky, but shoveling/slurping is ok
                                                        (I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong), so they're kinda fun.

                                                        Live, Love, Learn!
                                                        -Chiba

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                                                          Japanese were very practical people. Of course they used small utility
                                                          knifes when dealing with food. Some are called kozuka, they could be
                                                          plain or ornate, and sometimes were even mounted in the scabbard of the
                                                          katana. However single edged knives of a variety of sorts were used,
                                                          including triangular bladed, wooden handled kitchen knives, like the
                                                          sushi knives you can by in a Japanese grocery store.

                                                          You would not use an actual tanto for food I think. Killing and eating,
                                                          are different things. The sword is the soul of the samurai. Not a steak
                                                          knife.

                                                          Miyake Nobuhiro
                                                        • JL Badgley
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                                                            On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM, aimee brooks <rjb@...> wrote:
                                                            > For a japanese feast gear knife, you could use a small tanto-style
                                                            > knife- it would allow you to cut your food, and still look alright with
                                                            > the rest of your japanese kit.
                                                            > -Hirokawa no Tsuru

                                                            Japan did have knives. They just weren't usually brought out to the
                                                            table, but there is no reason you can't get a Japanese knife for your
                                                            feast gear. I'm not sure what shapes would be appropriate, but I
                                                            don't think anyone would say anything about most modern Japanese knife
                                                            shapes. If you are really concerned, though, look through the
                                                            iconography and other sources to see what they actually had.

                                                            -Ii
                                                          • James Miyake
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Apr 29, 2009
                                                              kogatana is the actual generic name I meant to use for knife. Kozuka
                                                              tend to mean the decorative handle part ... my apologies...
                                                              Who had that tanto?