Re: To Wig or Not To Wig

  • booknerd9
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
      I bought a wig but it was a cheap piece of junk and turned into a frizz ball in five seconds so that plan of action didn't work. The biggest problem is that my hair is very short. What I do in this regard is when I wear my servant garb, I cover my hair with a kerchief. I just go "heck with it" when I'm in court garb. Considering I don't do makeup, it's probably ok.
    • Andrew T Trembley
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
        booknerd9 wrote:
        > I bought a wig but it was a cheap piece of junk and turned into a frizz ball in five seconds so that plan of action didn't work. The biggest problem is that my hair is very short. What I do in this regard is when I wear my servant garb, I cover my hair with a kerchief. I just go "heck with it" when I'm in court garb. Considering I don't do makeup, it's probably ok.

        Cheap wigs don't have to be bad, you just have to take care of them.

        We've got several wigs from Lacey Costume Wigs in New York. They're
        cheap synthetics. They get turned inside out and are stored in the
        elastic nets they were packaged in, and are still decent years later.

        andy
      • tupan4
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
          True, this is obviously just an opinion - but it is based on quite a bit of observing non-Japanese SCA folks in Japanese garb! Do what makes you feel you're doing your best.

          "Hats for Heroes" is a great subject line!

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Andrew T Trembley <attrembl@...> wrote:
            > Cheap wigs don't have to be bad, you just have to take care of them.

            Amen, my brother. When my hair was shorter and I WAS wearing a 5' long wig, it was a cheap nylon one I got at one of those Halloween In The Mall stores. I would carefully comb it out before and after each wearing using a wide toothed comb and some Static Guard, and I always tied the hair together in several places with ribbon or non-snag hair ties, and carefully wrapped it in a plastic bag. It survived several moves and I could put it on right now without issue if I wanted to.

            If you do opt for a wig, it's a really good idea to sew some combs into the skull cap so you don't lose it if you try to bow politely.

            Saionji no Hanae
          • Deb Strub
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
              I've been getting my wigs from Lacey Costume Wigs for years and like Andy
              says, they hold up quite well. One note on the very long black ones that I
              use for my Japanese persona; don't let them get too snarly before brushing
              them out. If you wait too long you'll never get it combed out. I use the
              wiry side of a dog brush and work up from the bottom with gentle short
              strokes. It's time consuming but trying to get knots out takes a lot
              longer.

              YIS,

              Murakami Tsuruko

              An Tir

              _____

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 5, 2009

                Greetings from Solveig! The bottom line is that the hat goes with the
                job. There is even a Japanese jidaigeki (period movie) where a bushi
                (military man) complains about the particular hats they were being
                made to wear. Yes, the movie is not documentation, it is more by way
                of illustration.

              • danabren
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 5, 2009
                  If it makes folks feel better, my natural hair gets as tangled as any wig. I am 6'1" with hair to the back of my knees, and if I don't condition my hair to within an inch (harhar) of it's life the day before the event, by dinnertime I have loose hairs everywhere and tangles lurking underneath.

                  Kurokamakiri/Danabren
                • booknerd9
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 9, 2009
                    > Cheap wigs don't have to be bad, you just have to take care of them.
                    >
                    > We've got several wigs from Lacey Costume Wigs in New York. They're
                    > cheap synthetics. They get turned inside out and are stored in the
                    > elastic nets they were packaged in, and are still decent years later.

                    I dunno... (; The minute I took mine out of the packaging, BAM, hairball- I didn't even get a *chance* to comb it out. That, and it kept falling off my head. I have ear/jaw length hair (I get about a one inch pony tail if I pull it back) so there was probably not much for the wig to hold on to.
                  • Elaine Koogler
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 9, 2009
                      Try using one of those elasticized headbands and clip the wig to that...

                      Kiri

                      booknerd9 wrote:

                      > > Cheap wigs don't have to be bad, you just have to take care of them.
                      > >
                      > > We've got several wigs from Lacey Costume Wigs in New York. They're
                      > > cheap synthetics. They get turned inside out and are stored in the
                      > > elastic nets they were packaged in, and are still decent years later.
                      > >

                      > I dunno... (; The minute I took mine out of the packaging, BAM,
                      > hairball- I didn't even get a *chance* to comb it out. That, and it
                      > kept falling off my head. I have ear/jaw length hair (I get about a
                      > one inch pony tail if I pull it back) so there was probably not much
                      > for the wig to hold on to.

                    • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 10, 2009
                        > I dunno... (;  The minute I took mine out of the packaging, BAM, hairball-

                        Cheap Halloween wigs do that. I bought one online for about $35, funny
                        the wig is made in China but the hair is made in Japan :-) In any
                        case, higher quality wigs don't seem to insta-hairball like cheaper
                        ones do. I have a cheap witch's wig, the hair is so fine it's
                        impossible to comb.

                        > That, and it kept falling off my head. I have ear/jaw length hair (I get about a one inch pony tail if I pull it back) so there was probably not much for the wig to hold on to.

                        You need a wig with a built-in form, adjustable/elasticized is best,
                        the kind real wigs have. I had very short hair at the time (not even
                        chin length) and it stayed on just fine.