Committment, Compromise and this SCA thing, was Re: Heian Court Dress

  • Katherine
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 28, 2009
      Big gambarre!

      I don't really consider personal wear 'real' unless 1. I've bled,
      hopefully not on it, or 2. wadded it up and either thrown it or
      stuffed in a dark corner until I get over my fit of pique.

      One day, I'll actually do that travelling costume, with linen
      curtains and the huge hat. The simplest looking costumes are the most
      decpetive, I've found, and I expect much rage whilst doing Japanese
      garb. At least with Elizabethan you can cover up your mistakes with
      wads of trim and everyone goes, "Oh, shiny!" Not so with japanese
      stuff. The methods of tying and getting everything arranged...well,
      when I did Japanese before, I wished I had my own hair and wear
      dresser to do up all the knots and arrange it nicely.

      Katherine
      Far West

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "tupan4" <tupan4@> wrote:
      > > I felt bad for a few minutes as I pondered the
      > > shortcomings of my new garb - but then I realized I was just being
      > > silly.
      >
      > I do this all the time. I will spend weeks or months on a project
      and
      > loathe the finished product for days (or even weeks) once it is
      done
      > because I see all the things that are wrong with it and lambast
      myself
      > for not being able to have done better. I want all my stuff to look
      > like it was made by one of Japan's Living National Treasures - and
      > seeing as it's made by ME, with zero training in the necessary art
      or
      > artisanship except what I can research and teach myself, I go
      through
      > the "This-sucks-I-hate-it" phase until I get a chance to fall in
      love
      > with it again.

    • Colleen Kardasz
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 2, 2009
        Erin is really being too hard on herself. She looked Great!, again, it is all a matter of perception. Would an expert from the museum know what is wrong, yes, would the average Scadian know -- NO. But completely understand how you feel, I am usually never happy with my finished projects, especially illuminations, it never is as good as the picture in my head.
        Alessandra

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 3, 2009

          Greetings from Solveig! Personally, I am rather in awe of people
          whose clothing efforts succeed. My only "successful" attempt at
          making clothing transpired during a clothing workshop in my apartment
          shortly before my second event way back in AS 11. I still
          occasionally wear a sideless surcoat that I made for that event.
          Everything else that I wear was made by somebody else. Even a couple
          of my make to order projects have failed. Consequently, at least two
          people theoretically still have bolts of fabric which I purchased.
          Anyway, as I recall, Erin looked reasonably spiffy at MiNoHi.

        • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 3, 2009
            > I do this all the time. I will spend weeks or months on a project and
            > loathe the finished product for  days (or even weeks) once it is done

            Well, the trick is to put it away where you can't see it for a few
            weeks/months. When you come back to it with fresh eyes after a while,
            you find you've forgotten where most of the defects were and you like
            it better!

            Well... works for me, at least, and I'm a perfectionist.
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 3, 2009
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Colleen Kardasz <c_kardasz@...> wrote:

              > Erin is really being too hard on herself. She looked Great!, again,
              it is all a matter of perception.

              I got to see photos of the event yesterday - and I DO hope she cross
              posts them over here. She did look lovely as did Cecily in her
              baronial kurenai.