Pictures!

  • seki_nakagawa
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2009
      Greetings and well met,
      I made a folder with a temporay project that shows my attempt at
      creating paper mache Noh/Kyogen masks, this one is the first one and it
      is terrible, I found out that I have adquire the "shakes" and my hands
      are no longer stady making it hard to paint. So take a look and have a
      good laught. For real!

      Humbly,
      -Sukeie
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2009
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "seki_nakagawa" <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:

        > Greetings and well met,
        > I made a folder with a temporay project that shows my attempt at
        > creating paper mache Noh/Kyogen masks, this one is the first one and it
        > is terrible, I found out that I have adquire the "shakes" and my hands
        > are no longer stady making it hard to paint.

        I'm not laughing. It's a bit rough, but very recognizably Ko-omote and
        a worthy a first attempt. What sort of paint did you use? You might
        try adding water to get a soft, "smudgy" effect for her eyebrows.

        I LOVE that your kids are in on dressing up in wafuku! They look great.

        Your hitatare is not bad from what I can see of it, given that you're
        kind of on top of the camera. (I would imagine that satiny fabric was
        slippery and difficult to work with.) A good effort and a harbinger of
        things to come, I hope.

      • seki_nakagawa
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
          Hanae-hime,
          Thanks for the kind words, the fabric is a syntetic type of silk, I
          can't remember the name of it, yes it was very slippery and hard to
          work with, but I got 10 yds. at .50 in the Joann's clearance rack
          and it keeps me warm, so I won't complain. I still need to
          place "cords" were the mons goes which will be black to match the
          rest of the outfit (which could probably use some ironing). The
          girls are very happy with theirs, they asked me for another one so I
          am thinking a green or darker pink so they can use them together if
          it gets cold or they want to.
          The paint on the mask is regular acrylic paint from Walmart's craft
          section, and I am having trouble keeping my hand steady and the
          paper mache seems to get rinkles as it dries taking away the smooth
          finish when still wet. I wasn't happy with the eyebrows, I thought
          it may have been the brush, but I will try some strokes on paper
          with a diluted solution of the same paint as you suggested and see
          if it works better. Again, thanks for your king words, and I am
          laughing at the hold thing. Hehehe.

          Humbly,
          -Sukeie
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "seki_nakagawa" <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:
            > The paint on the mask is regular acrylic paint from Walmart's craft
            > section, and I am having trouble keeping my hand steady and the
            > paper mache seems to get rinkles as it dries taking away the smooth
            > finish when still wet. I wasn't happy with the eyebrows, I thought
            > it may have been the brush, but I will try some strokes on paper
            > with a diluted solution of the same paint as you suggested and see
            > if it works better.

            You can definitely thin out acrylics with a little water. You might
            also mix a tiny dab of white into the black to soften the eyebrows
            further.

            Good luck!