Re: [SCA-JML] Re: 1600 clothing?

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 10, 2009

      As always, please check out the Costume Museum.

      Plaids, vertical stripes, and solids are all popular. Polka dots can
      also be documented. You should wear a kind of long rectangular apron
      in front. You might also want to wear a tenegui on your head in a
      manner similar to that worn by kendoka. Check out the servant woman
      in the movie Throne of Blood. Incidentally, the apron should tie in
      front, not in back. At least that is my recollection.

      Incidentally, while the picture of the people playing badmiton is
      generally useful, the scene is probably from around Chinese new year.
      The real problem with this image is that it does not appear to
      portray all twelve months as the title suggests that it does. There
      appear to be about three activities going on in the picture. Also, I
      am not convinced that we see much diversity in social class.

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 10, 2009
        wrote:
        > The real problem with this image is that it does not appear to
        > portray all twelve months as the title suggests that it does. There
        > appear to be about three activities going on in the picture. Also, I
        > am not convinced that we see much diversity in social class.

        I believe I posted a link to the first detail shot in a series, so
        that folks could explore the entire set. There are multiple photos at
        the Tokyo National Museum website of the entire screen, which DOES
        include year round scenes of everything from peasants transplanting
        rice to power-shopping in a kosode shop to rolling snowballs and
        cherry blossom viewing.

        Saionji no Not Making This Up
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 10, 2009

          Saionji hime wrote:
          > I believe I posted a link to the first detail shot in a series,
          I fear that I wasn't bright enough to follow the link up. Here is the
          link for the whole series:
          http://www.tnm.go.jp/en/servlet/Con?
          &pageId=E16&processId=02&col_id=A11090&ref=2&Q1=&Q2=&Q3=&Q4=11%5B34%
          5D_____4181_&Q5=&F1=&F2=

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 10, 2009

            Saionji hime wrote:
            > I believe I posted a link to the first detail shot in a series,
            I fear that I wasn't bright enough to follow the link up. Here is the
            link for the whole series:
            http://www.tnm.go.jp/en/servlet/Con?
            &pageId=E16&processId=02&col_id=A11090&ref=2&Q1=&Q2=&Q3=&Q4=11%5B34%
            5D_____4181_&Q5=&F1=&F2=

            I'm trying this again. The first time the active link didn't work.
            However, if you cut and paste the url, it does come up. I'm trying it
            again to see whether I can get the active link to work this time.

            Links