Re: 1600 clothing?

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2009
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Audrey Bergeron-Morin
      <audreybmorin@...> wrote:

      > Good afternoon,
      >
      > My research into Japanese clothing has been in the Heian era so far.
      > However. I might have the opportunity to play Japanese at a rather
      > serious LARP this summer. They're doing 1550-1600. What would a
      > servant to minor noble family have worn?

      Female servant, I assme? Kosode, less elaborately decorated than your
      betters. Stripes or checks are popular.

      Go roam around this painting a bit. There are lots of detail photos of
      scenes of people of various classes engaged in various seasonal
      activities.
      http://www.tnm.go.jp/en/servlet/Con?processId=00&ref=2&Q1=&Q2=&Q3=&Q4=11[34]_____4181_&Q5=&F1=&F2=&pageId=E15&colid=A11090

      Cheers,
    • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2009
        >> My research into Japanese clothing has been in the Heian era so far.
        >> However. I might have the opportunity to play Japanese at a rather
        >> serious LARP this summer. They're doing 1550-1600. What would a
        >> servant to minor noble family have worn?
        >
        > Female servant, I assme? Kosode, less elaborately decorated than your
        > betters. Stripes or checks are popular.

        Ah, yes, that's an important detail, isn't it? Female for me, but I
        might have need for a male outfit also, if I can convince my boyfriend
        to join us.

        Thank you for the link. It'll be a great starting point.

        Audrey
      • Elika Preston
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9, 2009

          <audreybmorin@...> wrote:

          > Good afternoon,

          > My research into Japanese clothing has been in the Heian era so far.

          > However. I might have the opportunity to play Japanese at a rather

          > serious LARP this summer. They're doing 1550-1600. What would a

          > servant to minor noble family have worn?Hmmm, 1550-1600 would be Azuchi-Momoyama Period I believe. Maybe the Kyoto Costume Museum would be of some help? It depends on what kind of servant you're going for (ie scullery vs lady's maid), but for work clothes, this wouldn't be too far off...
          http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/index.htmYoroshiku,Elika

        • Elika Preston
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 9, 2009
            Oops, that didn't turn out well.

            The gist was to try the Kyoto Costume Museum.

            http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/index.htm

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2009
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elika Preston <elpresto@...> wrote:

              > Oops, that didn't turn out well.
              >
              > The gist was to try the Kyoto Costume Museum.
              >
              > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/index.htm

              Elika-hime,

              Try right clicking on the page you want at KCM. Select "This Frame"
              and "Open Frame In New Tab". Then copy the URL.

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 10, 2009

                As always, please check out the Costume Museum.

                Plaids, vertical stripes, and solids are all popular. Polka dots can
                also be documented. You should wear a kind of long rectangular apron
                in front. You might also want to wear a tenegui on your head in a
                manner similar to that worn by kendoka. Check out the servant woman
                in the movie Throne of Blood. Incidentally, the apron should tie in
                front, not in back. At least that is my recollection.

                Incidentally, while the picture of the people playing badmiton is
                generally useful, the scene is probably from around Chinese new year.
                The real problem with this image is that it does not appear to
                portray all twelve months as the title suggests that it does. There
                appear to be about three activities going on in the picture. Also, I
                am not convinced that we see much diversity in social class.

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 10, 2009
                  wrote:
                  > The real problem with this image is that it does not appear to
                  > portray all twelve months as the title suggests that it does. There
                  > appear to be about three activities going on in the picture. Also, I
                  > am not convinced that we see much diversity in social class.

                  I believe I posted a link to the first detail shot in a series, so
                  that folks could explore the entire set. There are multiple photos at
                  the Tokyo National Museum website of the entire screen, which DOES
                  include year round scenes of everything from peasants transplanting
                  rice to power-shopping in a kosode shop to rolling snowballs and
                  cherry blossom viewing.

                  Saionji no Not Making This Up
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 10, 2009

                    Saionji hime wrote:
                    > I believe I posted a link to the first detail shot in a series,
                    I fear that I wasn't bright enough to follow the link up. Here is the
                    link for the whole series:
                    http://www.tnm.go.jp/en/servlet/Con?
                    &pageId=E16&processId=02&col_id=A11090&ref=2&Q1=&Q2=&Q3=&Q4=11%5B34%
                    5D_____4181_&Q5=&F1=&F2=

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 10, 2009

                      Saionji hime wrote:
                      > I believe I posted a link to the first detail shot in a series,
                      I fear that I wasn't bright enough to follow the link up. Here is the
                      link for the whole series:
                      http://www.tnm.go.jp/en/servlet/Con?
                      &pageId=E16&processId=02&col_id=A11090&ref=2&Q1=&Q2=&Q3=&Q4=11%5B34%
                      5D_____4181_&Q5=&F1=&F2=

                      I'm trying this again. The first time the active link didn't work.
                      However, if you cut and paste the url, it does come up. I'm trying it
                      again to see whether I can get the active link to work this time.

                      Links