Mongolian boots available at Estrella

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
      http://pics.livejournal.com/sasha_khan/gallery/0004zk1g

      Originally posted to LJ by Iskander-dono (sasha_khan), reposted with
      permission of the vendor:

      My friend Mary Ann has developed a very nice commercial relationship
      with a Mongol woman that owns several businesses in Outer Mongolia.

      Currently, Mary Ann is offering these custom-made boots AT COST
      - which is $95 USD.

      These boots are made in the Buryat style - with a low, less-pronounced
      toe than the more commonly-seen Khalkha style (with the added bonus of
      being more historically accurate for the SCA timeframe than the Khalkha).

      They withstood the hellish mud of last year's Estrella, and I've worn
      mine in the snow in Seattle and Big Bear. They are extremely
      comfortable to walk in.

      Since these ARE custom-made, special widths and shaft diameters (for
      those of us with wide calves) can easily be accomodated. Custom color
      combinations are available - the turquoise piping is standard feature
      on ALL boots. All boots are made as ordered, with a roughly 6 week
      delivery window.

      An order is a minimum of six pairs of boots to get them at this price.
      [What this means is that Mary Ann has to order six pairs from the
      maker to get them at this price.]

      The three available pairs in the gallery can be shipped (at
      purchaser's cost) or delivered at Estrella.

      If you are interested, or have questions, Mary Ann can be reached via
      email at: chokguzel AT cox DOT net

      Saionji no Hates Cold Feet
      West Kingdom
    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
        Do you know if the boots are available in red for women...or if they are
        available for men? The site seemed to imply that only women's size 6
        1/2 - 7 were available. That would fit me just fine, but my husband
        needs a size 12!

        Thanks!

        Kiri

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote:

          > Do you know if the boots are available in red for women...or if they
          are
          > available for men?

          She can order custom sizes in a variety of colors, those are just the
          pairs she will have at Estrella. I suggest you email her at the
          address provided if you want more specific information.

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
            Great, because I can't be at Estrella, so would need to order them from
            her, if she's willing. I'm especially interested because her price is a
            lot more affordable that the ones I had seen elsewhere.

            Thanks for your help!

            Kiri

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote:

              > Great, because I can't be at Estrella, so would need to order them from
              > her, if she's willing. I'm especially interested because her price
              is a
              > lot more affordable that the ones I had seen elsewhere.

              I know the merchant and she is reputable. She had a booth at Great
              Western War last October, called Cok Guzel, and her Near Eastern
              merchandise is top drawer.

              Saionji no Stimulatin' The Economy
              West Kingdom
            • Leonora Radovcic
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                Greetings, Saionji-hime,

                No relavant to the subject at hand on this list, but I've been meaning
                to tell you that the way you've been signing your name at the end of
                your posts have been creative and funny. Just wanted to thank you for
                the good chuckle. I quite enjoyed them. =D

                Branimira
                East Kingdom

                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Great, because I can't be at Estrella, so would need to order them
                from
                > > her, if she's willing. I'm especially interested because her price
                > is a
                > > lot more affordable that the ones I had seen elsewhere.
                >
                > I know the merchant and she is reputable. She had a booth at Great
                > Western War last October, called Cok Guzel, and her Near Eastern
                > merchandise is top drawer.
                >
                > Saionji no Stimulatin' The Economy
                > West Kingdom

              • Adam MacDonald
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                  Gunaydin, arkadashlarim!

                  Iskander here - the fellow who p[osted the boots on my LiveJournal.

                  There are pictures at the original link of 5 pairs of boots - 2 pairs of
                  which are mine (MINEMINEMINE - you no can haz!) the other three pairs are
                  immediate available - all are sized women's 6.5 -7. These were boots that
                  for whatever reason didn't fit the intended purchaser the first time around.

                  Part of the initial issue was getting the craftspeople in Mongolia more
                  familiar with North American sizing and expectations. My SCA household and
                  close associates were the guinea pigs for this initial phase, so other
                  people would have a more streamlined experience.

                  BTW, Mary Ann is known as Mistress Cristobal degli Glicini che Mangia Uome,
                  OL - Caid in the SCA...

                  Be well,
                  Iskander Kurdji - that damn Turk

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Adam MacDonald"
                    <caid.court.musician@...> wrote:
                    > There are pictures at the original link of 5 pairs of boots - 2
                    pairs of
                    > which are mine (MINEMINEMINE - you no can haz!)

                    Heh. As if they would fit mere mortals of normal stature.

                    > Part of the initial issue was getting the craftspeople in Mongolia more
                    > familiar with North American sizing and expectations.

                    Perhaps a foot tracing along with a circumference measurement at the
                    widest part of the calf might be a good idea to send along with one's
                    order.

                  • Elaine Koogler
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                      Thanks for your information, my Lord. I sent a message to Mistress
                      Cristobal asking if the boots could be ordered in different colors and
                      sizes. Also, I wondered what the price would be. I'm considering
                      ordering 2 pairs, one in a 6.5 - 7 in red and a second for a man, size
                      12, probably either black or brown.

                      Thanks!

                      Kiri

                    • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                        Those are veryyyyyyyy prettyyyyyyy!

                        -Sukeie

                        To ask a question may be a moments's shame,
                        But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                      • JL Badgley
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                          You know, I've been meaning to get some of these for some time. They
                          very much remind me of some of the early Japanese boots (considering
                          the source, I'm not surprised), and I've been thinking about asking if
                          I could get some that were a bit lower than those shown.

                          -Ii

                        • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                            I am a bit slow, but I would have to agree those are funny.

                            -Sukeie

                            but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Leonora Radovcic" <Lightpaws@...> wrote:
                              Just wanted to thank you for
                              > the good chuckle. I quite enjoyed them. =D

                              You are most welcome.

                              She Who Is VERY Easily Amused.