Re: [SCA-JML] Gilbert and Sullivan (was Re: Noh dates)

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
      On Jan 30, 2009, at 9:41 AM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

      > Yes, and the heroine was called "Yumyum". Yes, it was political
      > satire about Britain. However, Gilbert was also interested in getting
      > the Japanese bits were done reasonably well. This primarily had to do
      > with costume, walking in Japanese clothes, and stuff like that. This
      > itself was a jab at the British who were caught up with Japanomania
      > at the time.

      I highly recommend anyone and everyone should rent or buy (it's good,
      trust me!) the DVD of "Topsy Turvy" -- a semi musical (well, it would
      have to be, wouldn't it? ;) ) about the creation of the Mikado and all
      the backstage and behind the scenes shenanigans that Gilbert,
      Sullivan, D'Oyly-Carte, et al. were involved with.

      It's a hell of a fun movie.

      Effingham
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
        On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> wrote:

        > I highly recommend anyone and everyone should rent or buy (it's good,
        > trust me!) the DVD of "Topsy Turvy" -- a semi musical (well, it would
        > have to be, wouldn't it? ;) ) about the creation of the Mikado and all
        > the backstage and behind the scenes shenanigans that Gilbert,
        > Sullivan, D'Oyly-Carte, et al. were involved with.
        >
        > It's a hell of a fun movie.

        I very much agree re: the movie. However, it does appear they took
        liberties with various things. For instance, the production appears
        to have started before the Japanese Village was ever set up, though it
        is probable that it influenced the final outcome.

        -Ii
      • Anthony Bryant
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
          On Jan 30, 2009, at 10:45 AM, JL Badgley wrote:

          > I very much agree re: the movie. However, it does appear they took
          > liberties with various things. For instance, the production appears
          > to have started before the Japanese Village was ever set up, though it
          > is probable that it influenced the final outcome.

          Really?

          It's clear that a visit to the Japanese Village, and Gilbert's
          purchase of a sword and meeting the tea-lady ("Miss 'Six-pence-
          please'") was the inspiration behind it, as Sullivan refused to do a
          score for another book Gilbert had written (the one with the infamous
          "magic lozenge").

          Effingham
        • Ellen Badgley
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
            The Wikipedia article on Mikado claims that both the sword and Japanese
            Village "inspirations" for the play were fictional-- Gilbert had already
            completed Act I by the time the Japanese Village opened. Supposedly the
            play was instead inspired by the general "Japan-o-mania" sweeping London at
            the time. That doesn't mean that he didn't use the Japanese Village for
            consults and costume inspiration...

            - Abe Akirakeiko

            On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:02 PM, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>wrote:

            > On Jan 30, 2009, at 10:45 AM, JL Badgley wrote:
            > >
            > > I very much agree re: the movie. However, it does appear they took
            > > liberties with various things. For instance, the production appears
            > > to have started before the Japanese Village was ever set up, though it
            > > is probable that it influenced the final outcome.
            > >

            > Really?
            >
            > It's clear that a visit to the Japanese Village, and Gilbert's
            > purchase of a sword and meeting the tea-lady ("Miss 'Six-pence-
            > please'") was the inspiration behind it, as Sullivan refused to do a
            > score for another book Gilbert had written (the one with the infamous
            > "magic lozenge").
            >
            > Effingham

          • Anthony Bryant
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
              On Jan 30, 2009, at 11:08 AM, Ellen Badgley wrote:

              > The Wikipedia article on Mikado claims that both the sword and
              > Japanese
              > Village "inspirations" for the play were fictional-- Gilbert had
              > already
              > completed Act I by the time the Japanese Village opened. Supposedly
              > the
              > play was instead inspired by the general "Japan-o-mania" sweeping
              > London at
              > the time. That doesn't mean that he didn't use the Japanese Village
              > for
              > consults and costume inspiration..

              Oh, I get it...

              Ya know, I'd totally forgotten that. I just always took the movie as
              gospel. (I guess after Braveheart and Dances With Samurai I should
              know better. ;) )

              Effingham
            • James Miyake
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
                " Dances With Samurai! "
                ha ha! I am totally dying here.

                Miyake

              • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
                  Ii-dono,
                  Very insightful, thanks.

                  -Sukeie

                  To ask a question may be a moments' shame,
                  But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
                    Baron Effingham,
                    Thank you so much for the vote of confidence on this movie, I really feel
                    like calling off work sick and searching right now.

                    Humbly,

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> wrote:

                      > It's clear that a visit to the Japanese Village, and Gilbert's
                      > purchase of a sword and meeting the tea-lady ("Miss 'Six-pence-
                      > please'") was the inspiration behind it, as Sullivan refused to do a
                      > score for another book Gilbert had written (the one with the infamous
                      > "magic lozenge").

                      Can I just say that I LOVE the closeup of Gilbert (Jim Broadbent)
                      gazing down at the sword lying on his desk - you can actually see him
                      get the idea.

                      This is one of those films I can watch over and over. It's
                      intelligently written, beautifully acted, the music is a delight.

                      Saionji "After all, I am a child of nature" no Hanae
                    • Anthony Bryant
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
                        On Jan 30, 2009, at 4:49 PM, sekinakagawa@... wrote:

                        > Baron Effingham,
                        > Thank you so much for the vote of confidence on this movie, I really
                        > feel
                        > like calling off work sick and searching right now.

                        It is a fun flick.

                        It resulted in an entire wasted afternoon on Wikipedia looking up all
                        the actors and people behind the original production. Some of them had
                        very interesting (and occasionally sad) lives.

                        Effingham
                      • Anthony Bryant
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
                          On Jan 30, 2009, at 5:01 PM, wodeford wrote:
                          > Can I just say that I LOVE the closeup of Gilbert (Jim Broadbent)
                          > gazing down at the sword lying on his desk - you can actually see him
                          > get the idea.
                          >
                          > This is one of those films I can watch over and over. It's
                          > intelligently written, beautifully acted, the music is a delight.
                          >
                          > Saionji "After all, I am a child of nature" no Hanae

                          LOL!

                          I agree. Of course, it helps that I have a major crush on Shirley
                          Henderson (who played Leonora Braham, who played Yum-Yum). (For those
                          who can't quite place her -- she was "Moaning Myrtle" in the Potter
                          flix.)

                          Effingham
                        • rayzentz@aim.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
                            I have also played the part of Koko, Lord High Executioner, who was sentanced to death, but continued to survive, because it was of course impossible for one to behead himself.

                            The show is very amusing, and full of twists and turns of language that when combined with brilliant music, are a true delight.

                            Padruig McTavish,
                            bard of Arrows' Flight

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
                              > Posted by: "Anthony Bryant"
                              > True, but my favorite rendition of The Mikado will always be the 1990-
                              > ish version starring Eric Idle (!) as Koko -- the setting was in a
                              > British resort town in Edwardian times, and it fit like a glove.

                              This is a great version, it could only have been done post WW1,
                              otherwise the might have been some head chop chop!

                              > Posted by: "JL Badgley"
                              >
                              > Sukeie-dono,
                              > "The Mikado" actually goes by that very term). The Mikado remains
                              > controversial because of its obviously superficial understanding of
                              > Japanese culture, which is used to lampoon 19th century British
                              > society. It is an exemplar of 19th century Orientalism, but survives
                              > based on its critically acclaimed musical artistry and wit, as well as
                              > its value as a commentary on 19th century England.

                              The reason why it was about Japan was the same reason Shakespeare wrote
                              about wicked Lancastrians. It's embarrassing to have your plays banned
                              and to be jailed. I don't think this qualifies it as Orientalism.
                              > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
                              >
                              > Yes, and the heroine was called "Yumyum". Yes, it was political
                              > satire about Britain. However, Gilbert was also interested in getting
                              > the Japanese bits were done reasonably well. This primarily had to do
                              > with costume, walking in Japanese clothes, and stuff like that. This
                              > itself was a jab at the British who were caught up with Japanomania
                              > at the time.

                              Plus it brought in more money ;)
                              > Dances With Samurai

                              ROTFL Tom Cruise does clueless so well ;)

                              Jim Eckman
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 30, 2009
                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

                                A scene from "Topsy Turvy" I thought you might enjoy.

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S647is8rvvM

                              • danabren
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 31, 2009
                                  Ha! I played Pitti-Sing (should have jolly well been Katisha, but that
                                  role went to the daughter of Peter Schickle, phooey)

                                  Kurokamakiri

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 31, 2009
                                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "danabren" <danabren@...> wrote:

                                    > Ha! I played Pitti-Sing (should have jolly well been Katisha, but that
                                    > role went to the daughter of Peter Schickle, phooey)

                                    Kurohime! I had no idea you went to USND Hoople!

                                    Saionji no Hanae
                                  • rayzentz@aim.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 31, 2009
                                      I am originally from North Dakota, and am well acquainted with the place.?? ;-)

                                      Padruig

                                      > Ha! I played Pitti-Sing (should have jolly well been Katisha, but that
                                      > role went to the daughter of Peter Schickle, phooey)

                                      Kurohime! I had no idea you went to USND Hoople!

                                    • Andrew T Trembley
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 31, 2009
                                        wodeford wrote:
                                        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "danabren" <danabren@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> Ha! I played Pitti-Sing (should have jolly well been Katisha, but that
                                        >> role went to the daughter of Peter Schickle, phooey)
                                        >>

                                        > Kurohime! I had no idea you went to USND Hoople!

                                        Was it the great Harry Herbert Hoover Heaver and the 4-H band playing in
                                        the pit?

                                        andy
                                      • danabren
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 1, 2009
                                          > > Ha! I played Pitti-Sing (should have jolly well been Katisha, but
                                          that
                                          > > role went to the daughter of Peter Schickle, phooey)
                                          >
                                          > Kurohime! I had no idea you went to USND Hoople!
                                          >
                                          > Saionji no Hanae

                                          Not hardly - More like Brooklyn Friends School!

                                          Kurokamakiri
                                        • James Eckman
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 1, 2009

                                            > Posted by: "wodeford"
                                            >
                                            > A scene from "Topsy Turvy" I thought you might enjoy.
                                            >
                                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S647is8rvvM

                                            Japanese Yes? Japanese No? I need to see this movie....

                                            Thanks,
                                            Jim