Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Noh dates

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 21, 2009
      --- On Wed, 1/21/09, Jeanel Walker wrote:
      so let me get this straight...if i want to do a kabuki play i must pretend to be a man pretending to be a woman????

      Note: Kabuki, as stated before, is essentially out of period for the SCA(after 1600).

      That said, if you choose to reenact kabuki from 1603 to 1629 then females were performining female kabuki or onna kabuki. Kabuki after 1629 was only presented with male actors until modern times where women again appear on stage.

      If you are actually asking about Noh, which is period, then, as far as I know, all performers until modern times were male. Whether that means for you that you "must" pretend to be a man pretending to be a woman is a separate question. The nature of Noh acting was to achieve the "essence" of the character, and I personally think that would override any other considerations in the performance. YMMV.

      When I have done Elizabethan drama in the SCA we have taken into consideration that boys were playing the womens roles in period and let that inform the decisions on what those characters do and how they behave, but haven't pretended that the women playing the roles were actually boys. Again, YMMV.

      Ki no Izumi aka Gwendolyn of Middlemarch
    • sekinakagawa@aol.com
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 30, 2009
        Hanae-hime,
        Thanks, I will see this movie as soon as I find the time to watch some TV.

        Humbly,
        -Sukeie

        To ask a question may be a moments' shame,
        But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.