Re: [SCA-JML] Name

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 105 , Jan 5, 2009
      On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 4:24 AM, randyratacreewilliams
      <randyratacreewilliams@...> wrote:
      > Hello
      >
      > Okay I have a question and can not figure it out I am trying to
      > finish making my persona my husband has one that he has started all so
      > that is japanes would I be able to have the same last name as him or
      > did japanese woman keep there family name and not change there last
      > name? and did they have a middle name or just a first and last, I know
      > men changed there name when the got to a certine age and woman did not
      > but it's hard to find a lot on womans names.

      Saionji-dono has some excellent recommendations. I'm just going to
      chime in because I was commenting on this to my wife while reading
      "The First Samurai" (excellent read, btw--good information on late
      Heian era provincial warrior life). While discussing the confusing
      situation of names and familial relations, Karl Friday points out that
      in the Heian period polygamy or serial monogamy was common and that
      the women often had their own property--usually their family's
      estate--that their husbands might visit in turns. They would, by
      default, keep their own family names, though the husband or wife might
      be adopted by the other's family (meaning the husband might be just as
      likely to take the wife's name) depending on the political situation
      (e.g. if the wife is the daughter of a high-ranking official and the
      husband is a promising provincial official, but also the son of
      unranked parents). I believe the children would usually take the
      father's name, unless they were adopted by their mother's family for
      some reason.

      Clear as mud?

      -Ii
    • seki_nakagawa
      Message 105 of 105 , Jan 10, 2009
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, shinomoto yoshinaga <frayyosh@...>
        wrote:
          I have a Japanese persona my real life better half has a Scottish
        persona.

        I am right there with you. My better half's persona is Norse and we
        had a 2 SCA years of discussion as to whether she would take my
        nihonji name or what. She end up assuming a "regional" name and named
        herself Lezlie of Silverhart, which is where we live. I am not even
        sure that Lezlie is norse at all.

        -Sukeie