Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Fwd: Linguisitc/Translation Help Request

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
      On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 12:43 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Saionji-hime--any chance that the individual in question might be
      >> willing to give us a context?
      >
      > "It's a sub-personna name for one in a sensei position relative to an
      > apprentice.... That help any? It's kind of a mentor-Pandawan
      > situation..."
      >
      > And before anyone gets their fundoshi in a knot about proper Japanese
      > onomastics, this is not for SCA use, it doesn't have to be period,
      > it's simply a nickname.

      Okay, in that case I would suggest using the on'yomi readings:

      First, thunder/lightning are the same word: 雷 (RAI, kaminari, ikazuchi)

      It is also a surname (Rai Kuniyoshi), and was the name of a popular
      line of swordsmiths.

      Here's what Jim Breen's gives:
      雷 【らい】 Rai (s,f) 【あずま】 Azuma (f) 【いかずち】 Ikazuchi (s) 【いかつち】 Ikatsuchi
      (p) 【いかづち】 Ikadzuchi (s) 【かみなり】 Kaminari (u)
      http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?2F

      急雷: Kyurai - This would be my first guess for 'sudden lightning'. It
      sounds like a different word though (旧来 - traditional, old). So I
      went dictionary diving:

      完雷: Kanrai - 'Perfect/Complete' thunder
      善雷: Zenrai - 'Auspicious lightning'
      光雷: Mirai - Bright lightning
      黙雷: Mokurai - Silent lightning

      Those are some examples of names I could find (no 'Kyurai', though I
      think it fits the pattern). I did find:

      雷速: Raiya - Lightning quick

      There are literally hundreds of names that use this kanji, so while
      these are my suggestions, someone could always go to Jim Breen's
      WWWJDIC (or similar site) and search through the 'enamdict' on '雷'.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
        > Okay, in that case I would suggest using the on'yomi readings:

        Many thanks,tomodachi. I will pass it on.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
          Noble Cousin!

          Greetings from Solveig! A sensei is always called sensei. A senior is
          always called senpai. A junior is simply called by their name.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009

            > First, thunder/lightning are the same word: 雷 (RAI, kaminari,
            > ikazuchi)
            雷 kaminari thunder
            電 izanuma lightening

            One problem with "sudden" in Japanese is that the common word for
            this is 突然 totsuzen which pretty much must work as a na form
            adjective.

            There are various words for fast.

            早い - hayai
            急 - kyū