Re: Fwd: Linguisitc/Translation Help Request

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2 9:43 AM
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:

      > Saionji-hime--any chance that the individual in question might be
      > willing to give us a context?

      "It's a sub-personna name for one in a sensei position relative to an
      apprentice.... That help any? It's kind of a mentor-Pandawan
      situation..."

      And before anyone gets their fundoshi in a knot about proper Japanese
      onomastics, this is not for SCA use, it doesn't have to be period,
      it's simply a nickname.

      Many thanks for your assistance.
      Saionji no Hanae
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2 3:46 PM
        On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 12:43 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Saionji-hime--any chance that the individual in question might be
        >> willing to give us a context?
        >
        > "It's a sub-personna name for one in a sensei position relative to an
        > apprentice.... That help any? It's kind of a mentor-Pandawan
        > situation..."
        >
        > And before anyone gets their fundoshi in a knot about proper Japanese
        > onomastics, this is not for SCA use, it doesn't have to be period,
        > it's simply a nickname.

        Okay, in that case I would suggest using the on'yomi readings:

        First, thunder/lightning are the same word: 雷 (RAI, kaminari, ikazuchi)

        It is also a surname (Rai Kuniyoshi), and was the name of a popular
        line of swordsmiths.

        Here's what Jim Breen's gives:
        雷 【らい】 Rai (s,f) 【あずま】 Azuma (f) 【いかずち】 Ikazuchi (s) 【いかつち】 Ikatsuchi
        (p) 【いかづち】 Ikadzuchi (s) 【かみなり】 Kaminari (u)
        http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?2F

        急雷: Kyurai - This would be my first guess for 'sudden lightning'. It
        sounds like a different word though (旧来 - traditional, old). So I
        went dictionary diving:

        完雷: Kanrai - 'Perfect/Complete' thunder
        善雷: Zenrai - 'Auspicious lightning'
        光雷: Mirai - Bright lightning
        黙雷: Mokurai - Silent lightning

        Those are some examples of names I could find (no 'Kyurai', though I
        think it fits the pattern). I did find:

        雷速: Raiya - Lightning quick

        There are literally hundreds of names that use this kanji, so while
        these are my suggestions, someone could always go to Jim Breen's
        WWWJDIC (or similar site) and search through the 'enamdict' on '雷'.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2 5:26 PM
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
          > Okay, in that case I would suggest using the on'yomi readings:

          Many thanks,tomodachi. I will pass it on.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2 10:11 PM
            Noble Cousin!

            Greetings from Solveig! A sensei is always called sensei. A senior is
            always called senpai. A junior is simply called by their name.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2 10:35 PM

              > First, thunder/lightning are the same word: 雷 (RAI, kaminari,
              > ikazuchi)
              雷 kaminari thunder
              電 izanuma lightening

              One problem with "sudden" in Japanese is that the common word for
              this is 突然 totsuzen which pretty much must work as a na form
              adjective.

              There are various words for fast.

              早い - hayai
              急 - kyū