Re: [SCA-JML] A Nihonjin Warrior in King Uther's Court

  • John Lyon
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 2, 2009
      You know the expansion of our recreation really shouldn't be that big
      of a surprise when you think about. My thinking is (and pardon me if I
      am wrong) is that as time passes things become over researched, while
      20 years ago inkle weaving might have been a new and cool thing now
      everyone and their mom does it. It is hard to get credit for doing new
      and innovative things in some areas of history because they have been
      so well documented and examined. There are always people looking to
      find areas that no one has explored yet, and this would (I imagine)
      push the SCA to include more geographical and temporal variety.

      <snippage>

      > In general, we have been embraced warmly and supportively. You get the
      > occasional negative response, but, as has been said, so do personas from
      > almost any place and era, especially Russian and Eastern Europe as far as I
      > can tell. In our experience over the past 25+ years the SCA has, in general,
      > increased its variety of persona geographically and culturally as people
      > become more knowlegeable and interested in historical accuracy. That is our
      > experience.
      >
      > I am glad you have decided not to let the insensitive comments of a few
      > spoil your delight in what you want to do. Best wishes in your endeavors and
      > happy new year,
      >
      > Ki no Izumi
      > aka Mistress Gwendolyn of Middlemarch
      > aka Jennifer Kobayashi

      <snippage>

      --
      "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
      things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I

      John Lyon
      aka The Ugly Dragon
      aka Kita Jiru Toramassa
    • Jennifer Kobayashi