Re: [SCA-JML] A Nihonjin Warrior in King Uther's Court

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 2, 2009
      --- On Fri, 1/2/09, James Miyake <jmiyake@...> wrote:

      On a personal note, I have been assessing my feelings over the

      incidents I mentioned, and have come to an understanding of why I have

      been so affected by them. While I know for a fact the comments made

      by others were not meant at all in a racial way, and were not even

      meant to be rude. These comments resonated some feelings deep inside

      me. You see I am actually 100% nihonjin by ancestry. And being told by

      westerners that Japanese are not allowed to play is not unique in my

      personal history or that of my family.

      My husband is Japanese-American and his family was all in the American interment camps during WWII. We play SCA in the East Kingdom. He has had a Japanese persona for over 25 years and is a Master at Arms and a Pelican, among other things. He has fought in many crown tournaments without a shield (and caused a lot of comment for a while.) I got interested in Japanese persona while doing the research for his garb, and am a part time Nihonjin (although I have blonde hair and blue eyes.) Our children have dabbled in various personae, including Russian, but have Japanese currently. It's a little weird, doing Western European activities in Japanese garb, but we like to participate in many aspects of  the courts we visit. ;-)

      In general, we have been embraced warmly and supportively. You get the occasional negative response, but, as has been said, so do personas from almost any place and era, especially Russian and Eastern Europe as far as I can tell. In our experience over the past 25+ years the SCA has, in general, increased its variety of persona geographically and culturally as people become more knowlegeable and interested in historical accuracy. That is our experience.

      I am glad you have decided not to let the insensitive comments of a few spoil your delight in what you want to do. Best wishes in your endeavors and happy new year,

      Ki no Izumi
      aka Mistress Gwendolyn of Middlemarch
      aka Jennifer Kobayashi

    • Jennifer Kobayashi