Re: [SCA-JML] A Nihonjin Warrior in King Uther's Court

  • James Miyake
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 1, 2009
      This is a great discussion, and I have found it very helpful and
      reassuring personally. Thank you for sharing your experiences. It's
      reassuring to know that this type of exclusionary thinking is not
      universal in the SCA. It is also inspiring to know that there are
      pockets of thriving Japanese living history in various areas. It is
      sad to hear that others have experienced it, especially in the West
      apparently.

      Thank you also for clarifying the the specifics of visiting personas.
      This is useful information.

      I intend to do as I want with my persona, and ignore any negative
      small-mindedness I receive in the future. Thanks to you all for your
      support.

      On a personal note, I have been assessing my feelings over the
      incidents I mentioned, and have come to an understanding of why I have
      been so affected by them. While I know for a fact the comments made
      by others were not meant at all in a racial way, and were not even
      meant to be rude. These comments resonated some feelings deep inside
      me. You see I am actually 100% nihonjin by ancestry. And being told by
      westerners that Japanese are not allowed to play is not unique in my
      personal history or that of my family.

      Miyake Nobuhiro
    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 2, 2009