Re: [SCA-JML] Fwd: Linguisitc/Translation Help Request

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
      Saionji-hime--any chance that the individual in question might be
      willing to give us a context? Are they looking for a phrase, a name
      for something, etc.? What you use can change depending on the context
      it is in.

      -Ii

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:

        > Saionji-hime--any chance that the individual in question might be
        > willing to give us a context? Are they looking for a phrase, a name
        > for something, etc.? What you use can change depending on the context
        > it is in.

        I will see if I can get him to elaborate and let you know.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:

          > Saionji-hime--any chance that the individual in question might be
          > willing to give us a context?

          "It's a sub-personna name for one in a sensei position relative to an
          apprentice.... That help any? It's kind of a mentor-Pandawan
          situation..."

          And before anyone gets their fundoshi in a knot about proper Japanese
          onomastics, this is not for SCA use, it doesn't have to be period,
          it's simply a nickname.

          Many thanks for your assistance.
          Saionji no Hanae
        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
            On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 12:43 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Saionji-hime--any chance that the individual in question might be
            >> willing to give us a context?
            >
            > "It's a sub-personna name for one in a sensei position relative to an
            > apprentice.... That help any? It's kind of a mentor-Pandawan
            > situation..."
            >
            > And before anyone gets their fundoshi in a knot about proper Japanese
            > onomastics, this is not for SCA use, it doesn't have to be period,
            > it's simply a nickname.

            Okay, in that case I would suggest using the on'yomi readings:

            First, thunder/lightning are the same word: 雷 (RAI, kaminari, ikazuchi)

            It is also a surname (Rai Kuniyoshi), and was the name of a popular
            line of swordsmiths.

            Here's what Jim Breen's gives:
            雷 【らい】 Rai (s,f) 【あずま】 Azuma (f) 【いかずち】 Ikazuchi (s) 【いかつち】 Ikatsuchi
            (p) 【いかづち】 Ikadzuchi (s) 【かみなり】 Kaminari (u)
            http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?2F

            急雷: Kyurai - This would be my first guess for 'sudden lightning'. It
            sounds like a different word though (旧来 - traditional, old). So I
            went dictionary diving:

            完雷: Kanrai - 'Perfect/Complete' thunder
            善雷: Zenrai - 'Auspicious lightning'
            光雷: Mirai - Bright lightning
            黙雷: Mokurai - Silent lightning

            Those are some examples of names I could find (no 'Kyurai', though I
            think it fits the pattern). I did find:

            雷速: Raiya - Lightning quick

            There are literally hundreds of names that use this kanji, so while
            these are my suggestions, someone could always go to Jim Breen's
            WWWJDIC (or similar site) and search through the 'enamdict' on '雷'.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
              > Okay, in that case I would suggest using the on'yomi readings:

              Many thanks,tomodachi. I will pass it on.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
                Noble Cousin!

                Greetings from Solveig! A sensei is always called sensei. A senior is
                always called senpai. A junior is simply called by their name.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009

                  > First, thunder/lightning are the same word: 雷 (RAI, kaminari,
                  > ikazuchi)
                  雷 kaminari thunder
                  電 izanuma lightening

                  One problem with "sudden" in Japanese is that the common word for
                  this is 突然 totsuzen which pretty much must work as a na form
                  adjective.

                  There are various words for fast.

                  早い - hayai
                  急 - kyū