RE: [SCA-JML] Re: A Nihonjin Warrior in King Uther's Court

  • Chibasama Ry├║ichiro
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 1, 2009
      > Actually, the missing G resulted from either a mechanical typo or

      Thus my reference to it as an 'unfortunate typo'. I was trying to be
      funny...stupid internets.

      > You do not say anything in what you write above about your source of
      knowledge

      My sources are many and varied, but none of them are rule books or games.
      I'm perfectly aware that neither is an accurate representation of real
      mythology. A certain amount of 'fiddling' is required to make mythology fit
      within a ruleset. I have direct experience with this phenomenon, as I
      happen to the be the editor and most prevalent contributor to Amtgard's
      Asian expansion, the Book of Engoku. In this case, I did not get my
      knowledge from a rule book, I injected it into a rulebook 8) While it
      suffers many of the same pitfalls you'll find in any 'mythology turned to
      rules', and more unique to Amtgard (like it's predilection with modern
      interpretations and mythologies...the BoE includes ninja and daikaiju), I
      put a lot of effort into educating the reader while entertaining them. Feel
      free to take a gander, I'm always fond of discussing mythology:
      http://engoku.midgardonline.org/boe.html

      There's even a little ACTUAL history in there 8)

      I've found the biggest issue is dealing with gunpowder. While in Europe it
      wasn't very prevalent up to the end of our respective cut-off dates, Asians
      were using it a whole lot, and very early. Heck, the Koreans were using
      mobile rocket launchers in the 1200's. So the BoE includes a whole section
      on such things, and the first thing it says is 'unless the specific scenario
      calls for it, you're not allowed to use these'. But it's in there, and
      during the yearly event 'The War of Engoku', we allow it 8)

      > I was saying that the SCA should not set fantasy as an objective for
      itself.

      I was agreeing 8) For different reasons, tho. I'm sure the average
      SCAnadian could deal with the complexity of magic & mythology...I love my
      game, but far too many players are morons, and they seem to handle it ok.
      Instead, I see SCA as an organization that benefits from not confusing
      historical reality with the fantasy that is often built up around poorly
      documented history. You guys spend a lot of time and effort digging thru
      mounds of garbage to find gems of truth and history, and adding mythology to
      the mix turns clean and neutral knowledge of history into something fuzzy
      and amorphous. There is never a definitive truth in mythology, only long
      years of interpretation and the machinations of the bards who told the
      stories.

      Like I said, each organization has its place 8) I wish, sometimes, there
      were more folx like myself who are interested in exploring mythology as you
      guys explore history, but I suspect none of us are strangers to being 'odd'
      *chuckle*

      Live, Love, Learn!
      -Chiba
    • Jennifer Kobayashi