Fwd: Linguisitc/Translation Help Request

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2008
      --- In sca-west@yahoogroups.com, "skippy_macmurphy"
      <skippy_macmurphy@...> wrote:

      Am wondering if anyone can easily translate the phrase "Sudden
      Thunder" into Mandarin and/or Japanese...

      Assisstance would be much appreciated.

      Skippy
      the Babelfish-impaired

      --- End forwarded message ---
      Can anyone assist this gentleman?

      Thank you,
    • Rich Goble
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
        While I am at best a fledgling translator, and nowhere near as experienced as Solveig-hime, Ii-dono, or others of their caliber, I will help you as best I can.

        "Sudden thunder", assuming I understand the Japanese use of adjectives correctly, translates as "totsuzen raimei".

        If I happen to have translated incorrectly (but I am pretty sure I did it right), feel free to correct me.

        Hopefully this helps Skippy-dono, Saionji-hime.   :-)

        - Imagawa

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
          Saionji-hime--any chance that the individual in question might be
          willing to give us a context? Are they looking for a phrase, a name
          for something, etc.? What you use can change depending on the context
          it is in.

          -Ii

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:

            > Saionji-hime--any chance that the individual in question might be
            > willing to give us a context? Are they looking for a phrase, a name
            > for something, etc.? What you use can change depending on the context
            > it is in.

            I will see if I can get him to elaborate and let you know.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:

              > Saionji-hime--any chance that the individual in question might be
              > willing to give us a context?

              "It's a sub-personna name for one in a sensei position relative to an
              apprentice.... That help any? It's kind of a mentor-Pandawan
              situation..."

              And before anyone gets their fundoshi in a knot about proper Japanese
              onomastics, this is not for SCA use, it doesn't have to be period,
              it's simply a nickname.

              Many thanks for your assistance.
              Saionji no Hanae
            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
                On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 12:43 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Saionji-hime--any chance that the individual in question might be
                >> willing to give us a context?
                >
                > "It's a sub-personna name for one in a sensei position relative to an
                > apprentice.... That help any? It's kind of a mentor-Pandawan
                > situation..."
                >
                > And before anyone gets their fundoshi in a knot about proper Japanese
                > onomastics, this is not for SCA use, it doesn't have to be period,
                > it's simply a nickname.

                Okay, in that case I would suggest using the on'yomi readings:

                First, thunder/lightning are the same word: 雷 (RAI, kaminari, ikazuchi)

                It is also a surname (Rai Kuniyoshi), and was the name of a popular
                line of swordsmiths.

                Here's what Jim Breen's gives:
                雷 【らい】 Rai (s,f) 【あずま】 Azuma (f) 【いかずち】 Ikazuchi (s) 【いかつち】 Ikatsuchi
                (p) 【いかづち】 Ikadzuchi (s) 【かみなり】 Kaminari (u)
                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?2F

                急雷: Kyurai - This would be my first guess for 'sudden lightning'. It
                sounds like a different word though (旧来 - traditional, old). So I
                went dictionary diving:

                完雷: Kanrai - 'Perfect/Complete' thunder
                善雷: Zenrai - 'Auspicious lightning'
                光雷: Mirai - Bright lightning
                黙雷: Mokurai - Silent lightning

                Those are some examples of names I could find (no 'Kyurai', though I
                think it fits the pattern). I did find:

                雷速: Raiya - Lightning quick

                There are literally hundreds of names that use this kanji, so while
                these are my suggestions, someone could always go to Jim Breen's
                WWWJDIC (or similar site) and search through the 'enamdict' on '雷'.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                  > Okay, in that case I would suggest using the on'yomi readings:

                  Many thanks,tomodachi. I will pass it on.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009

                    Greetings from Solveig! A sensei is always called sensei. A senior is
                    always called senpai. A junior is simply called by their name.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009

                      > First, thunder/lightning are the same word: 雷 (RAI, kaminari,
                      > ikazuchi)
                      雷 kaminari thunder
                      電 izanuma lightening

                      One problem with "sudden" in Japanese is that the common word for
                      this is 突然 totsuzen which pretty much must work as a na form
                      adjective.

                      There are various words for fast.

                      早い - hayai
                      急 - kyū