Re: [SCA-JML] Re: A Nihonjin Warrior in King Uther's Court

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 30, 2008
      Well, actually...it hasn't always been thus in Atlantia. When I started
      in the SCA some 30 years ago, I was initially told that having a
      Japanese persona was fine...so long as I remembered that I was a visitor
      in a European environment...which didn't bother me at all. Then, as I
      got more involved and started participating at the Kingdom level, I
      began to run into this sort of thing...even to the point of being told
      that I would never be given the Kingdom A&S award (the Pearl) or most
      certainly not a Laurel because Japanese didn't belong in the SCA.
      However, as time went on, this began to mitigate...and I was given a
      Pearl some years back...then, a few years ago, my Laurel...partly for
      cooking, and...despite having been told I'd never get one because of my
      Japanese persona, partly for Japanese research!

      My advice: ignore those folks, and go on doing your Japanese
      persona...but do it the very best you can. Make your research and
      recreation better than any of the European types around you...and the
      respect will come!

      Kiri
      Atlantia

      ADutch64@... wrote:

      > Konnichiwa,
      >
      > I have NEVER experienced anything like what you write, maybe
      > I've been lucky. I'm shocked that Gentles would be so discourteous
      > as to speak to you in such a manner. I'm sorry you have had such
      > an occurrece.
      >
      > Takeda Yoshinaka-sama,
      > St. Georges Canton,
      > Barony of Nottinghill Coill,
      > Kingdom of Atlantia
      >
      > On Mon Dec 29 16:05 , 'wodeford' <wodeford@...
      > <mailto:wodeford%40yahoo.com>> sent:
      > >
      > >--- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "jamesmiyake" <jmiyake@...> wrote:
      > Anyway just coming back into the society, this unexpected issue has
      > me a bit shaken.
      > Have other Japanese personas come across this?
      >
      > I wonder if any of the members of this group might have some
      > perspective on the appropriateness or not of Japanese personas in the
      > SCA.
      > >

      > >As a matter of fact, yes, so much so that I wrote this about a year ago:
      > >http://wodefordhall.com/japanesething.htm
      > <http://wodefordhall.com/japanesething.htm>
      > >
      > >And - as a matter of fact - I will be attending the last court of
      > >Uther-tenno at West Kingdom Twelfth Night in karaginu mo. Final
      > >paintwork on my hiogi is in the completion states this week. ;-D
      > >
      > >Saionji no Hanae (sometimes known as Jehanne de Wodeford)
      > >West Kingdom

    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 2, 2009
        --- On Fri, 1/2/09, autumnriver <tace@...> wrote: