A Nihonjin Warrior in King Uther's Court

  • jamesmiyake
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 29, 2008
      Greetings from a new SCA member, Miyake Nobuhiro. Actually, an old member as well
      since I was active until about 17 years ago when mundane needs drew me completely
      away.

      So much has changed in the interim. The SCA has many changes, and the effect of the
      web, especially the availability of information with great resources such as this group, and
      webpages such as sengoku daimyo. Anyway it is like being a newbie again so much to
      learn.

      Here is one change that has surprised me, while I have been extremely warmly welcomed
      overall, I have come across some instances of resistance to my Japanese persona. I have
      had one person point out that the SCA is really a based on European medieval society. I
      though it was an isolate opinion, but in different conversation a person very politely and
      gently pointed out that it detracts from their vision of "the Dream." And there have been
      other things somewhat more subtle...

      Anyway just coming back into the society, this unexpected issue has me a bit shaken.
      Have other Japanese personas come across this?

      I wonder if any of the members of this group might have some perspective on the
      appropriateness or not of Japanese personas in the SCA.

      Miyake Nobuhiro
    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 2, 2009
        --- On Fri, 1/2/09, autumnriver <tace@...> wrote: