Re: [SCA-JML] Armor

  • chris hansen
    Message 1 of 63 , Dec 23, 2008
      Greetings,
       A few questions first:

      1st:
      Do you have any skilss your self as to:
      Leather working
      Sewing
      Netal working

      2nd
      Do you have a place to work on armour? If you live in an apartment noise may be an issue

      If you live in an apartment and don't have a lot of skills a laced Lamellar may be a good choice for the Torso, skirts and shoulder protection of your armour. The advantage is with pre drilled scales all you have to do is a lot of lacing

      here is a web address for a company making scales for Japaneese and other scale type armours.

      If you look at there gallery you can see a lot of different styles of eastern armour assembled from thier products and there links lead to lacing patterns.

      http://www.plasticlamellar.com/products.htm

      As to leg armour a fast method to create usable and reasonably good looking greeves and knees is to rivit awing to the knee section of a set of catchers legs.

      As to arm armour I would say go with a low profile steel, leather or plastic elbow cop atttached to a vambrace, Ice Falcon armoury has pictures of a good design on thier site. But you should be able to make or aquire a pair for less than they charge. If you have acees to sewing skills you can fabricate a pair of Kote to wear over your arms.

      Neck: Buy a good gorget that fits well this is not an area of armour to cheapshot

      Hands: of you are fighting with a two handed weapon you need Gauntlets I would recomend EGG armory as a brand they make a very well designed and very protective product

      Helm
      If one is availible and in your price range buy a samurai helmet designed for SCA combat if you can't and don't have local access to another helmet,I would recomend buying one of the Ashcroft Baker helms (good solid stater helms for about $100) from Renstore.com they are run by an Atenveldt Knight and his family and have very good customer service and allways have a good stock of helms.

      As to Chinstraps the chinstrap kit availible from Mandrake arms is very good and very safe ( I have used it for 8 years with no problems)

      Padding
      I would recomend either carpet padding or closed cell foam covered with an appropriate brocade material on the out side for hip and thigh armour.

      for your body you want padding over your short ribs and over your shoulders

      Fabrics
      A lot of your brocades are amazingly tough fabrics allowing you to be quite colorful

      Its tough to build an entire suit in two months but you should be able to get a good start

      Be sure to ask your local marshall or a local knight to help you asemble safe padding for your helm and to help you with a chinstrap

      Good Luck

      Lord Marius do Parthia
      Senior Heavy Combat Marshall
      Antir

      Message 63 of 63 , Jun 7, 2013
        Greetings,
        Does anyone know of, or can recommend an armorer for Japanese armor? I am a cross country truck driver and do not have room in my truck for the materials or tools needed to make my own.
        Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android