Re: [SCA-JML] Armor

    Message 1 of 63 , Dec 23, 2008

      > I deal with this constantly. Making something as accurate as
      > possible while still making it list-legal is *FAR* more difficult
      > than straight reproduction. HOWEVER, ill fitting armour is the
      > single greatest hindrance to most fighters in the SCA. Ask Dukes
      > Bellatrix or Brannos. Proper fitting armour is not a luxury, it is
      > a necessity.
      Now those are two points I think we can both very strongly agree on.
      Further, premodern armor was designed to achieve very specific
      purposes against weapons that are different from what we use in
      combat. Also, a lot of the armor worn in the Society is expected to
      protect against excessive bruising and bone fractures.

      I experienced really really bad armor when I attempted to get back
      into fighting in the very early 90's. The prevailing notion about
      armor at that time was toward a LOT more armor than when I was
      fighting. The local people (no connection with Yama Kaminari) stuck
      me in this horrible carpet armor. BLEH! I was planning on joining a
      pike company. However, the knight (also no connection with Yama
      Kaminari) who was "training" the company had very poor ideas about
      how a pike company should operate. Anyway, there we were with these
      huge pikes and some of us in really crappy armor, and this knight in
      his ultra light well fitting armor wielding a sword would run around
      our formation expecting us to somehow present a front to him. This
      was a task which Sisyphus (sp) would avoid.

    • Jim Bryant
      Message 63 of 63 , Jun 7, 2013
        Greetings,
        Does anyone know of, or can recommend an armorer for Japanese armor? I am a cross country truck driver and do not have room in my truck for the materials or tools needed to make my own.
        Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android