Re: [SCA-JML] Re: My BBC show finally airs Stateside

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
      On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Scott <scottc_4@...> wrote:
      > I don't mean this to be a critcism of any of the work that you did
      > Anthony. I saw the commercials for that episode, and I must say I was
      > a little dismayed at the mistakes just in the commercials. They
      > portray Ieyasu as a man devoted to a DYING EMPEROR and that he takes
      > on Japan's LONGEST LASTING DYNASTY.... ummmm what.... These are
      > either glaring inaccuracies, or a poor choice of words that give off
      > the totally wrong impression. Although I cannot be too surprised

      I've seen the episode in question. For those with a deep
      understanding of history, it is going to have some glaring
      inaccuracies, but I didn't get anything like what you are mentioning
      from what I saw. Most of the inaccuracies involve shortening a very
      complex political process, reducing the number of characters, and
      putting it together in a way that makes sense.

      I should also mention that it is all in English. This jarred me at
      first, probably because the quality and everything else leads me to
      expect Japanese. Then again, I don't find it weird that Rome is
      entirely in English, so I think it is just a bias on my part.

      I also know that BBC did not always listen to Hiraizumi-dono's advice.
      Of potential interest: consulting historians are considered to be
      'on the dole' of the production company, so they can't be used to
      endorse the work. Thus, the production company gets an 'independent'
      historian to look over the work and attest to the accuracy of it.
      Thus, while Hiraizumi-dono's name appears in the credits, a rather
      more popular name appears more prominently; I think this is rather a
      disservice, but at the same time, you can legitimately blame the
      second historian for approving all the inaccuracies, while I'm afraid
      Hiraizumi-dono was left without veto power.

      All that said, I really enjoyed this. I think that it is especially
      good for people with little or no knowledge of Japanese history to
      help them to understand an important time and place, as well as a
      talented politican and general.