Re: [SCA-JML] Re: My BBC show finally airs Stateside

  • Rich Goble
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
      Trial by Fire episode info and viewing schedule (for the Yabusame episode):

      http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=389288

      Also, there is a show called "Time Warp" on the Discovery Channel, where the show's creators capture various things using high speed photography. One episode is called "Samurai Sword Master". The main segment shows a Western samurai master performing tamashigiri (tatami mat cutting), which is interesting to watch. They have the guy come back in the new episode "Barefooter", where his segment involves him cutting a whole salmon and various pig parts with a katana because the show's creators "thought it would be more realistic than cutting tatami mats". Both episodes will be on in the next few days:

      http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/time-warp/episode/episode.html

      - Imagawa

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
        It was on a couple nights ago (I think...DVR), very kewl stuff. It went
        thru a huge, fat ham like butter. Didn't even pause on the bone. You could
        tell the guy was a bit nervous about it...he was making excuses about pig
        bone being denser than human bone before the cut. His concern was
        misguided. They also asked him what he wanted to see, and he opted for
        water balloons...also kewl stuff.

        It was interesting to note that with the hams and the water balloons (but
        NOT the mat), there was a compression wave traveling right in front of the
        blade.

        Live, Love, Learn!
        -Chiba

        wrote:

        > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
        >
        > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@ >
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
        completely
        > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
        > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
        all I
        > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
        think.
        > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
        > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
        changed
        > > things to make the story more entertaining.
        > >

        > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
        left
        > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
        and
        > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
        >

        > Effingham

      • Cowan Jeremy
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
          ----- Original Message -----From: Rich Goble
          > Also, there is a show called "Time Warp" on the Discovery <BR>> Channel, where the show's creators capture various things using
          > high speed photography. One episode is called "Samurai Sword
          > Master". The main segment shows a Western samurai
          > master performing tamashigiri (tatami mat cutting)

          Just FYI, the "Western samurai" is James Williams http://www.dojoofthefourwinds.com/instructor.html

          If his resume concerns you, be assured that he knows cutting, which is what he is really being asked to do in this show.

          Jeremy

        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
            On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Scott <scottc_4@...> wrote:
            > I don't mean this to be a critcism of any of the work that you did
            > Anthony. I saw the commercials for that episode, and I must say I was
            > a little dismayed at the mistakes just in the commercials. They
            > portray Ieyasu as a man devoted to a DYING EMPEROR and that he takes
            > on Japan's LONGEST LASTING DYNASTY.... ummmm what.... These are
            > either glaring inaccuracies, or a poor choice of words that give off
            > the totally wrong impression. Although I cannot be too surprised

            I've seen the episode in question. For those with a deep
            understanding of history, it is going to have some glaring
            inaccuracies, but I didn't get anything like what you are mentioning
            from what I saw. Most of the inaccuracies involve shortening a very
            complex political process, reducing the number of characters, and
            putting it together in a way that makes sense.

            I should also mention that it is all in English. This jarred me at
            first, probably because the quality and everything else leads me to
            expect Japanese. Then again, I don't find it weird that Rome is
            entirely in English, so I think it is just a bias on my part.

            I also know that BBC did not always listen to Hiraizumi-dono's advice.
            Of potential interest: consulting historians are considered to be
            'on the dole' of the production company, so they can't be used to
            endorse the work. Thus, the production company gets an 'independent'
            historian to look over the work and attest to the accuracy of it.
            Thus, while Hiraizumi-dono's name appears in the credits, a rather
            more popular name appears more prominently; I think this is rather a
            disservice, but at the same time, you can legitimately blame the
            second historian for approving all the inaccuracies, while I'm afraid
            Hiraizumi-dono was left without veto power.

            All that said, I really enjoyed this. I think that it is especially
            good for people with little or no knowledge of Japanese history to
            help them to understand an important time and place, as well as a
            talented politican and general.