Re: My BBC show finally airs Stateside

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
      My DVR has been set since this past Sunday when I saw the ad during
      the Richard the Lion Heart episode. Tonight I caught part of an
      episoide, which I set the DVR to record the repeat, of a show called
      Trial by Fire. I do not know about the show, but in this episode a
      guy spends a week practicing Yabusame. I don't know how it is since I
      had to go to work part way through the episode, but I thought I would
      mention it for anyone who might be interested in keeping an eye out
      for it. That one was on the regular History Channel though. As for
      the ninja attack in the Warriors episode...... and here I was
      thinking it was just Americans who had to try to stick ninja into
      ANYTHING involving samurai haha.

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
      wrote:

      > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
      >
      > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
      completely
      > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
      > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
      all I
      > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
      think.
      > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
      > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
      changed
      > > things to make the story more entertaining.
      > >

      > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
      left
      > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
      and
      > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
      >

      > Effingham

    • Rich Goble
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
        Trial by Fire episode info and viewing schedule (for the Yabusame episode):

        http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=389288

        Also, there is a show called "Time Warp" on the Discovery Channel, where the show's creators capture various things using high speed photography. One episode is called "Samurai Sword Master". The main segment shows a Western samurai master performing tamashigiri (tatami mat cutting), which is interesting to watch. They have the guy come back in the new episode "Barefooter", where his segment involves him cutting a whole salmon and various pig parts with a katana because the show's creators "thought it would be more realistic than cutting tatami mats". Both episodes will be on in the next few days:

        http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/time-warp/episode/episode.html

        - Imagawa

        wrote:

        > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
        >
        > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@ >
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
        completely
        > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
        > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
        all I
        > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
        think.
        > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
        > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
        changed
        > > things to make the story more entertaining.
        > >

        > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
        left
        > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
        and
        > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
        >

        > Effingham

      • Chibasama Ryúichiro
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
          It was on a couple nights ago (I think...DVR), very kewl stuff. It went
          thru a huge, fat ham like butter. Didn't even pause on the bone. You could
          tell the guy was a bit nervous about it...he was making excuses about pig
          bone being denser than human bone before the cut. His concern was
          misguided. They also asked him what he wanted to see, and he opted for
          water balloons...also kewl stuff.

          It was interesting to note that with the hams and the water balloons (but
          NOT the mat), there was a compression wave traveling right in front of the
          blade.

          Live, Love, Learn!
          -Chiba

          wrote:

          > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
          >
          > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@ >
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
          completely
          > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
          > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
          all I
          > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
          think.
          > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
          > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
          changed
          > > things to make the story more entertaining.
          > >

          > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
          left
          > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
          and
          > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
          >

          > Effingham

        • Cowan Jeremy
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
            ----- Original Message -----From: Rich Goble
            > Also, there is a show called "Time Warp" on the Discovery <BR>> Channel, where the show's creators capture various things using
            > high speed photography. One episode is called "Samurai Sword
            > Master". The main segment shows a Western samurai
            > master performing tamashigiri (tatami mat cutting)

            Just FYI, the "Western samurai" is James Williams http://www.dojoofthefourwinds.com/instructor.html

            If his resume concerns you, be assured that he knows cutting, which is what he is really being asked to do in this show.

            Jeremy

          • JL Badgley
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
              On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Scott <scottc_4@...> wrote:
              > I don't mean this to be a critcism of any of the work that you did
              > Anthony. I saw the commercials for that episode, and I must say I was
              > a little dismayed at the mistakes just in the commercials. They
              > portray Ieyasu as a man devoted to a DYING EMPEROR and that he takes
              > on Japan's LONGEST LASTING DYNASTY.... ummmm what.... These are
              > either glaring inaccuracies, or a poor choice of words that give off
              > the totally wrong impression. Although I cannot be too surprised

              I've seen the episode in question. For those with a deep
              understanding of history, it is going to have some glaring
              inaccuracies, but I didn't get anything like what you are mentioning
              from what I saw. Most of the inaccuracies involve shortening a very
              complex political process, reducing the number of characters, and
              putting it together in a way that makes sense.

              I should also mention that it is all in English. This jarred me at
              first, probably because the quality and everything else leads me to
              expect Japanese. Then again, I don't find it weird that Rome is
              entirely in English, so I think it is just a bias on my part.

              I also know that BBC did not always listen to Hiraizumi-dono's advice.
              Of potential interest: consulting historians are considered to be
              'on the dole' of the production company, so they can't be used to
              endorse the work. Thus, the production company gets an 'independent'
              historian to look over the work and attest to the accuracy of it.
              Thus, while Hiraizumi-dono's name appears in the credits, a rather
              more popular name appears more prominently; I think this is rather a
              disservice, but at the same time, you can legitimately blame the
              second historian for approving all the inaccuracies, while I'm afraid
              Hiraizumi-dono was left without veto power.

              All that said, I really enjoyed this. I think that it is especially
              good for people with little or no knowledge of Japanese history to
              help them to understand an important time and place, as well as a
              talented politican and general.