Re: [SCA-JML] Re: My BBC show finally airs Stateside

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
      On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be completely
      > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
      > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was all I
      > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I think.
      > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
      > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and changed
      > things to make the story more entertaining.

      Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been left
      out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters -- and
      there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.

      Effingham
    • Rich Goble
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
        As is mine. I was actually inspired to get off my backside and upgrade to a cable box w/DVR for this show.

        - Imagawa

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
          Is it only on the Military Channel? because if it is, I wont be able
          to see it :(
        • Aaron Grossman
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
            hopefully, bittorrent will be our friend...

            Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
              My DVR has been set since this past Sunday when I saw the ad during
              the Richard the Lion Heart episode. Tonight I caught part of an
              episoide, which I set the DVR to record the repeat, of a show called
              Trial by Fire. I do not know about the show, but in this episode a
              guy spends a week practicing Yabusame. I don't know how it is since I
              had to go to work part way through the episode, but I thought I would
              mention it for anyone who might be interested in keeping an eye out
              for it. That one was on the regular History Channel though. As for
              the ninja attack in the Warriors episode...... and here I was
              thinking it was just Americans who had to try to stick ninja into
              ANYTHING involving samurai haha.

              wrote:

              > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
              >
              > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
              completely
              > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
              > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
              all I
              > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
              think.
              > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
              > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
              changed
              > > things to make the story more entertaining.
              > >

              > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
              left
              > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
              and
              > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
              >

              > Effingham

            • Rich Goble
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                Trial by Fire episode info and viewing schedule (for the Yabusame episode):

                http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=389288

                Also, there is a show called "Time Warp" on the Discovery Channel, where the show's creators capture various things using high speed photography. One episode is called "Samurai Sword Master". The main segment shows a Western samurai master performing tamashigiri (tatami mat cutting), which is interesting to watch. They have the guy come back in the new episode "Barefooter", where his segment involves him cutting a whole salmon and various pig parts with a katana because the show's creators "thought it would be more realistic than cutting tatami mats". Both episodes will be on in the next few days:

                http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/time-warp/episode/episode.html

                - Imagawa

                wrote:

                > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
                >
                > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@ >
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
                completely
                > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
                > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
                all I
                > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
                think.
                > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
                > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
                changed
                > > things to make the story more entertaining.
                > >

                > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
                left
                > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
                and
                > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
                >

                > Effingham

              • Chibasama Ryúichiro
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                  It was on a couple nights ago (I think...DVR), very kewl stuff. It went
                  thru a huge, fat ham like butter. Didn't even pause on the bone. You could
                  tell the guy was a bit nervous about it...he was making excuses about pig
                  bone being denser than human bone before the cut. His concern was
                  misguided. They also asked him what he wanted to see, and he opted for
                  water balloons...also kewl stuff.

                  It was interesting to note that with the hams and the water balloons (but
                  NOT the mat), there was a compression wave traveling right in front of the
                  blade.

                  Live, Love, Learn!
                  -Chiba

                  wrote:

                  > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
                  >
                  > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@ >
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
                  completely
                  > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
                  > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
                  all I
                  > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
                  think.
                  > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
                  > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
                  changed
                  > > things to make the story more entertaining.
                  > >

                  > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
                  left
                  > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
                  and
                  > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
                  >

                  > Effingham

                • Cowan Jeremy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                    ----- Original Message -----From: Rich Goble
                    > Also, there is a show called "Time Warp" on the Discovery <BR>> Channel, where the show's creators capture various things using
                    > high speed photography. One episode is called "Samurai Sword
                    > Master". The main segment shows a Western samurai
                    > master performing tamashigiri (tatami mat cutting)

                    Just FYI, the "Western samurai" is James Williams http://www.dojoofthefourwinds.com/instructor.html

                    If his resume concerns you, be assured that he knows cutting, which is what he is really being asked to do in this show.

                    Jeremy

                  • JL Badgley
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                      On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Scott <scottc_4@...> wrote:
                      > I don't mean this to be a critcism of any of the work that you did
                      > Anthony. I saw the commercials for that episode, and I must say I was
                      > a little dismayed at the mistakes just in the commercials. They
                      > portray Ieyasu as a man devoted to a DYING EMPEROR and that he takes
                      > on Japan's LONGEST LASTING DYNASTY.... ummmm what.... These are
                      > either glaring inaccuracies, or a poor choice of words that give off
                      > the totally wrong impression. Although I cannot be too surprised

                      I've seen the episode in question. For those with a deep
                      understanding of history, it is going to have some glaring
                      inaccuracies, but I didn't get anything like what you are mentioning
                      from what I saw. Most of the inaccuracies involve shortening a very
                      complex political process, reducing the number of characters, and
                      putting it together in a way that makes sense.

                      I should also mention that it is all in English. This jarred me at
                      first, probably because the quality and everything else leads me to
                      expect Japanese. Then again, I don't find it weird that Rome is
                      entirely in English, so I think it is just a bias on my part.

                      I also know that BBC did not always listen to Hiraizumi-dono's advice.
                      Of potential interest: consulting historians are considered to be
                      'on the dole' of the production company, so they can't be used to
                      endorse the work. Thus, the production company gets an 'independent'
                      historian to look over the work and attest to the accuracy of it.
                      Thus, while Hiraizumi-dono's name appears in the credits, a rather
                      more popular name appears more prominently; I think this is rather a
                      disservice, but at the same time, you can legitimately blame the
                      second historian for approving all the inaccuracies, while I'm afraid
                      Hiraizumi-dono was left without veto power.

                      All that said, I really enjoyed this. I think that it is especially
                      good for people with little or no knowledge of Japanese history to
                      help them to understand an important time and place, as well as a
                      talented politican and general.