Re: [SCA-JML] My BBC show finally airs Stateside

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
      As is mine...I don't have cable, but rather Direct TV...and I finally
      found the channel...so we're all set to record it!

      Kiri--looking forward to seeing the program...

      Andrew T Trembley wrote:

      > Anthony Bryant wrote:
      > > The series itself is about several great historical military leaders
      > > at their crossroads: Attila, Cortes, Napoleon, Richard the
      > > Lionhearted, Spartacus, and Ieyasu. It's showing this week (starting
      > > Friday night with Attila), and my ep on Tokugawa Ieyasu is on this
      > > Sunday. (Ironically, the Japanese drama is on Sunday, Dec. 7. Gotta
      > > love it.)
      > >

      > Just tested the new-and-improved "search" function on my cable box to
      > find it. It's so set to record...
      >
      > andy

    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
        On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:

        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be completely
        > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
        > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was all I
        > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I think.
        > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
        > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and changed
        > things to make the story more entertaining.

        Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been left
        out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters -- and
        there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.

        Effingham
      • Rich Goble
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
          As is mine. I was actually inspired to get off my backside and upgrade to a cable box w/DVR for this show.

          - Imagawa

          > The series itself is about several great historical military leaders
          > at their crossroads: Attila, Cortes, Napoleon, Richard the
          > Lionhearted, Spartacus, and Ieyasu. It's showing this week (starting
          > Friday night with Attila), and my ep on Tokugawa Ieyasu is on this
          > Sunday. (Ironically, the Japanese drama is on Sunday, Dec. 7. Gotta
          > love it.)

          Just tested the new-and-improved "search" function on my cable box to
          find it. It's so set to record...

          andy

        • savan39
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
            Is it only on the Military Channel? because if it is, I wont be able
            to see it :(
          • Aaron Grossman
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
              hopefully, bittorrent will be our friend...

              Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                My DVR has been set since this past Sunday when I saw the ad during
                the Richard the Lion Heart episode. Tonight I caught part of an
                episoide, which I set the DVR to record the repeat, of a show called
                Trial by Fire. I do not know about the show, but in this episode a
                guy spends a week practicing Yabusame. I don't know how it is since I
                had to go to work part way through the episode, but I thought I would
                mention it for anyone who might be interested in keeping an eye out
                for it. That one was on the regular History Channel though. As for
                the ninja attack in the Warriors episode...... and here I was
                thinking it was just Americans who had to try to stick ninja into
                ANYTHING involving samurai haha.

                wrote:

                > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
                >
                > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
                completely
                > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
                > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
                all I
                > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
                think.
                > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
                > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
                changed
                > > things to make the story more entertaining.
                > >

                > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
                left
                > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
                and
                > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
                >

                > Effingham

              • Rich Goble
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                  Trial by Fire episode info and viewing schedule (for the Yabusame episode):

                  http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=389288

                  Also, there is a show called "Time Warp" on the Discovery Channel, where the show's creators capture various things using high speed photography. One episode is called "Samurai Sword Master". The main segment shows a Western samurai master performing tamashigiri (tatami mat cutting), which is interesting to watch. They have the guy come back in the new episode "Barefooter", where his segment involves him cutting a whole salmon and various pig parts with a katana because the show's creators "thought it would be more realistic than cutting tatami mats". Both episodes will be on in the next few days:

                  http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/time-warp/episode/episode.html

                  - Imagawa

                  wrote:

                  > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
                  >
                  > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@ >
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
                  completely
                  > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
                  > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
                  all I
                  > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
                  think.
                  > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
                  > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
                  changed
                  > > things to make the story more entertaining.
                  > >

                  > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
                  left
                  > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
                  and
                  > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
                  >

                  > Effingham

                • Chibasama Ryúichiro
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                    It was on a couple nights ago (I think...DVR), very kewl stuff. It went
                    thru a huge, fat ham like butter. Didn't even pause on the bone. You could
                    tell the guy was a bit nervous about it...he was making excuses about pig
                    bone being denser than human bone before the cut. His concern was
                    misguided. They also asked him what he wanted to see, and he opted for
                    water balloons...also kewl stuff.

                    It was interesting to note that with the hams and the water balloons (but
                    NOT the mat), there was a compression wave traveling right in front of the
                    blade.

                    Live, Love, Learn!
                    -Chiba

                    wrote:

                    > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
                    >
                    > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@ >
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
                    completely
                    > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
                    > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
                    all I
                    > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
                    think.
                    > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
                    > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
                    changed
                    > > things to make the story more entertaining.
                    > >

                    > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
                    left
                    > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
                    and
                    > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
                    >

                    > Effingham

                  • Cowan Jeremy
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                      ----- Original Message -----From: Rich Goble
                      > Also, there is a show called "Time Warp" on the Discovery <BR>> Channel, where the show's creators capture various things using
                      > high speed photography. One episode is called "Samurai Sword
                      > Master". The main segment shows a Western samurai
                      > master performing tamashigiri (tatami mat cutting)

                      Just FYI, the "Western samurai" is James Williams http://www.dojoofthefourwinds.com/instructor.html

                      If his resume concerns you, be assured that he knows cutting, which is what he is really being asked to do in this show.

                      Jeremy

                    • JL Badgley
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                        On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Scott <scottc_4@...> wrote:
                        > I don't mean this to be a critcism of any of the work that you did
                        > Anthony. I saw the commercials for that episode, and I must say I was
                        > a little dismayed at the mistakes just in the commercials. They
                        > portray Ieyasu as a man devoted to a DYING EMPEROR and that he takes
                        > on Japan's LONGEST LASTING DYNASTY.... ummmm what.... These are
                        > either glaring inaccuracies, or a poor choice of words that give off
                        > the totally wrong impression. Although I cannot be too surprised

                        I've seen the episode in question. For those with a deep
                        understanding of history, it is going to have some glaring
                        inaccuracies, but I didn't get anything like what you are mentioning
                        from what I saw. Most of the inaccuracies involve shortening a very
                        complex political process, reducing the number of characters, and
                        putting it together in a way that makes sense.

                        I should also mention that it is all in English. This jarred me at
                        first, probably because the quality and everything else leads me to
                        expect Japanese. Then again, I don't find it weird that Rome is
                        entirely in English, so I think it is just a bias on my part.

                        I also know that BBC did not always listen to Hiraizumi-dono's advice.
                        Of potential interest: consulting historians are considered to be
                        'on the dole' of the production company, so they can't be used to
                        endorse the work. Thus, the production company gets an 'independent'
                        historian to look over the work and attest to the accuracy of it.
                        Thus, while Hiraizumi-dono's name appears in the credits, a rather
                        more popular name appears more prominently; I think this is rather a
                        disservice, but at the same time, you can legitimately blame the
                        second historian for approving all the inaccuracies, while I'm afraid
                        Hiraizumi-dono was left without veto power.

                        All that said, I really enjoyed this. I think that it is especially
                        good for people with little or no knowledge of Japanese history to
                        help them to understand an important time and place, as well as a
                        talented politican and general.