Re: [SCA-JML] Re: My BBC show finally airs Stateside

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
      LOL!

      You can't seriously expect the commercial to get it right. The guy who
      wrote it probably didn't even see the show. :)

      Trust me, that is *not* what is in the show. :)

      Effingham

    • Andrew T Trembley
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
        Anthony Bryant wrote:
        > The series itself is about several great historical military leaders
        > at their crossroads: Attila, Cortes, Napoleon, Richard the
        > Lionhearted, Spartacus, and Ieyasu. It's showing this week (starting
        > Friday night with Attila), and my ep on Tokugawa Ieyasu is on this
        > Sunday. (Ironically, the Japanese drama is on Sunday, Dec. 7. Gotta
        > love it.)

        Just tested the new-and-improved "search" function on my cable box to
        find it. It's so set to record...

        andy
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
          wrote:

          Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be completely
          right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
          saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was all I
          had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I think.
          But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
          that they left out things they thought weren't important, and changed
          things to make the story more entertaining.

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
            As is mine...I don't have cable, but rather Direct TV...and I finally
            found the channel...so we're all set to record it!

            Kiri--looking forward to seeing the program...

            Andrew T Trembley wrote:

            > Anthony Bryant wrote:
            > > The series itself is about several great historical military leaders
            > > at their crossroads: Attila, Cortes, Napoleon, Richard the
            > > Lionhearted, Spartacus, and Ieyasu. It's showing this week (starting
            > > Friday night with Attila), and my ep on Tokugawa Ieyasu is on this
            > > Sunday. (Ironically, the Japanese drama is on Sunday, Dec. 7. Gotta
            > > love it.)
            > >

            > Just tested the new-and-improved "search" function on my cable box to
            > find it. It's so set to record...
            >
            > andy

          • Anthony Bryant
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
              On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:

              > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be completely
              > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
              > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was all I
              > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I think.
              > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
              > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and changed
              > things to make the story more entertaining.

              Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been left
              out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters -- and
              there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.

              Effingham
            • Rich Goble
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                As is mine. I was actually inspired to get off my backside and upgrade to a cable box w/DVR for this show.

                - Imagawa

                > The series itself is about several great historical military leaders
                > at their crossroads: Attila, Cortes, Napoleon, Richard the
                > Lionhearted, Spartacus, and Ieyasu. It's showing this week (starting
                > Friday night with Attila), and my ep on Tokugawa Ieyasu is on this
                > Sunday. (Ironically, the Japanese drama is on Sunday, Dec. 7. Gotta
                > love it.)

                Just tested the new-and-improved "search" function on my cable box to
                find it. It's so set to record...

                andy

              • savan39
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                  Is it only on the Military Channel? because if it is, I wont be able
                  to see it :(
                • Aaron Grossman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                    hopefully, bittorrent will be our friend...

                    Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

                    ________________________________
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                      My DVR has been set since this past Sunday when I saw the ad during
                      the Richard the Lion Heart episode. Tonight I caught part of an
                      episoide, which I set the DVR to record the repeat, of a show called
                      Trial by Fire. I do not know about the show, but in this episode a
                      guy spends a week practicing Yabusame. I don't know how it is since I
                      had to go to work part way through the episode, but I thought I would
                      mention it for anyone who might be interested in keeping an eye out
                      for it. That one was on the regular History Channel though. As for
                      the ninja attack in the Warriors episode...... and here I was
                      thinking it was just Americans who had to try to stick ninja into
                      ANYTHING involving samurai haha.

                      wrote:

                      > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
                      >
                      > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
                      completely
                      > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
                      > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
                      all I
                      > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
                      think.
                      > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
                      > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
                      changed
                      > > things to make the story more entertaining.
                      > >

                      > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
                      left
                      > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
                      and
                      > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
                      >

                      > Effingham

                    • Rich Goble
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                        Trial by Fire episode info and viewing schedule (for the Yabusame episode):

                        http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=389288

                        Also, there is a show called "Time Warp" on the Discovery Channel, where the show's creators capture various things using high speed photography. One episode is called "Samurai Sword Master". The main segment shows a Western samurai master performing tamashigiri (tatami mat cutting), which is interesting to watch. They have the guy come back in the new episode "Barefooter", where his segment involves him cutting a whole salmon and various pig parts with a katana because the show's creators "thought it would be more realistic than cutting tatami mats". Both episodes will be on in the next few days:

                        http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/time-warp/episode/episode.html

                        - Imagawa

                        wrote:

                        > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
                        >
                        > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@ >
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
                        completely
                        > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
                        > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
                        all I
                        > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
                        think.
                        > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
                        > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
                        changed
                        > > things to make the story more entertaining.
                        > >

                        > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
                        left
                        > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
                        and
                        > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
                        >

                        > Effingham

                      • Chibasama Ryúichiro
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                          It was on a couple nights ago (I think...DVR), very kewl stuff. It went
                          thru a huge, fat ham like butter. Didn't even pause on the bone. You could
                          tell the guy was a bit nervous about it...he was making excuses about pig
                          bone being denser than human bone before the cut. His concern was
                          misguided. They also asked him what he wanted to see, and he opted for
                          water balloons...also kewl stuff.

                          It was interesting to note that with the hams and the water balloons (but
                          NOT the mat), there was a compression wave traveling right in front of the
                          blade.

                          Live, Love, Learn!
                          -Chiba

                          wrote:

                          > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
                          >
                          > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@ >
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
                          completely
                          > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
                          > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
                          all I
                          > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
                          think.
                          > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
                          > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
                          changed
                          > > things to make the story more entertaining.
                          > >

                          > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
                          left
                          > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
                          and
                          > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
                          >

                          > Effingham

                        • Cowan Jeremy
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                            ----- Original Message -----From: Rich Goble
                            > Also, there is a show called "Time Warp" on the Discovery <BR>> Channel, where the show's creators capture various things using
                            > high speed photography. One episode is called "Samurai Sword
                            > Master". The main segment shows a Western samurai
                            > master performing tamashigiri (tatami mat cutting)

                            Just FYI, the "Western samurai" is James Williams http://www.dojoofthefourwinds.com/instructor.html

                            If his resume concerns you, be assured that he knows cutting, which is what he is really being asked to do in this show.

                            Jeremy

                          • JL Badgley
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                              On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Scott <scottc_4@...> wrote:
                              > I don't mean this to be a critcism of any of the work that you did
                              > Anthony. I saw the commercials for that episode, and I must say I was
                              > a little dismayed at the mistakes just in the commercials. They
                              > portray Ieyasu as a man devoted to a DYING EMPEROR and that he takes
                              > on Japan's LONGEST LASTING DYNASTY.... ummmm what.... These are
                              > either glaring inaccuracies, or a poor choice of words that give off
                              > the totally wrong impression. Although I cannot be too surprised

                              I've seen the episode in question. For those with a deep
                              understanding of history, it is going to have some glaring
                              inaccuracies, but I didn't get anything like what you are mentioning
                              from what I saw. Most of the inaccuracies involve shortening a very
                              complex political process, reducing the number of characters, and
                              putting it together in a way that makes sense.

                              I should also mention that it is all in English. This jarred me at
                              first, probably because the quality and everything else leads me to
                              expect Japanese. Then again, I don't find it weird that Rome is
                              entirely in English, so I think it is just a bias on my part.

                              I also know that BBC did not always listen to Hiraizumi-dono's advice.
                              Of potential interest: consulting historians are considered to be
                              'on the dole' of the production company, so they can't be used to
                              endorse the work. Thus, the production company gets an 'independent'
                              historian to look over the work and attest to the accuracy of it.
                              Thus, while Hiraizumi-dono's name appears in the credits, a rather
                              more popular name appears more prominently; I think this is rather a
                              disservice, but at the same time, you can legitimately blame the
                              second historian for approving all the inaccuracies, while I'm afraid
                              Hiraizumi-dono was left without veto power.

                              All that said, I really enjoyed this. I think that it is especially
                              good for people with little or no knowledge of Japanese history to
                              help them to understand an important time and place, as well as a
                              talented politican and general.