Re: My BBC show finally airs Stateside

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
      I don't mean this to be a critcism of any of the work that you did
      Anthony. I saw the commercials for that episode, and I must say I was
      a little dismayed at the mistakes just in the commercials. They
      portray Ieyasu as a man devoted to a DYING EMPEROR and that he takes
      on Japan's LONGEST LASTING DYNASTY.... ummmm what.... These are
      either glaring inaccuracies, or a poor choice of words that give off
      the totally wrong impression. Although I cannot be too surprised
      after seeing part of the episode on Attila. All historical accounts I
      know of say that his brother Bleda was killed during a "hunting
      accident" (note the quote marks), but in the show Attila throws a
      knife into his throat and kills him in front of all the generals of
      the Hun. That being said.... they are docudarmas, so they are
      daramatic representations of historical events. Although, it seems
      the writers and directories or whoever took quite a bit of dramatic
      licensing, which often happens in the entertainment profession it
      seems *coughs* 300 *coughs* . I mean ultimately these are meant to be
      entertaining as well. I still intend to watch the episode and see how
      it is since my current critique is based on not having seen it yet.
      But it looks like it might be entertaining despite inaccuracies, so I
      am looking at it in terms of entertainment not historical facts.

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
      wrote:

      > Apologies if you are getting this multiple times, but I am mass-
      > sending this as I wanted to get the news out as widely as possible.
      >

      > Some of you may have heard about the BBC TV show I did the
      research
      > for -- on Tokugawa Ieyasu and the Battle of Sekigahara.
      >
      > If you didn't know, the Readers' Digest version is that some time
      ago,
      > the Beeb contacted me asking me if I'd like to be their researcher
      for
      > a docudrama on the Battle of Sekigahara (for which I literally
      wrote
      > the book), as part of a series on historical military commanders.
      > After .004 seconds of hesitation (just to be polite), I said yes.
      >
      > The series was broadcast in the UK in February, and finally has
      made
      > its way Stateside, so I thought my fellow SCAdians might like to
      see
      > it. It is on the Military History channel.
      >
      > There's a brief review I did of the final production and some
      > screenshots of it on the Tosando board. It might whet your
      appetite
      > for it: http://military.discovery.com/tv/warriors/episode-
      guide/episode-guide.html
      > )
      >
      > The series itself is about several great historical military
      leaders
      > at their crossroads: Attila, Cortes, Napoleon, Richard the
      > Lionhearted, Spartacus, and Ieyasu. It's showing this week
      (starting
      > Friday night with Attila), and my ep on Tokugawa Ieyasu is on this
      > Sunday. (Ironically, the Japanese drama is on Sunday, Dec. 7.
      Gotta
      > love it.)
      >
      > About this episode (from their webpage): "Tokugawa Leyasu is a
      > towering figure in Japanese history. He is Oliver Cromwell,
      Richard

      http://military.discovery.com/tv/warriors/about/about.html

      > Historically speaking, it's not perfect -- we had to conflate
      months
      > of political machinations and maneuvering and conflict into one
      hour,
      > so some historical personages got rolled into one, and others just
      > aren't there, and there's more reliance on the "bushido" thing than
      > would have preferred (and there's even a ninja attack that I
      BEGGED
      > them not to do) but it's still a stunning production, and all
      things
      > considered I'm pleased and proud to have been attached to it. I
      don't
      > know what is going to have to be cut out for the US release to
      make
      > room for commercials, and I really worry about that -- there is NO
      fat
      > in the show that can easily be trimmed. The UK version was 59
      minutes
      > long, and that was barely enough to do some semblance of justice
      > the story.
      >
      > Watch the episode, and then tell yourself "they did this with only
      75
      > extras and 25 horses" and be amazed. Even Japanese TV had spots
      about
      > it on their news programs expressing surprise and admiration for
      the
      > quality and scale of the production given what the budget was.
      (Heck,
      > just look at the screen shots!)
      >
      > Check out the show, and let me know you what you think.
      >
      > Effingham

    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
        LOL!

        You can't seriously expect the commercial to get it right. The guy who
        wrote it probably didn't even see the show. :)

        Trust me, that is *not* what is in the show. :)

        Effingham

      • Andrew T Trembley
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
          Anthony Bryant wrote:
          > The series itself is about several great historical military leaders
          > at their crossroads: Attila, Cortes, Napoleon, Richard the
          > Lionhearted, Spartacus, and Ieyasu. It's showing this week (starting
          > Friday night with Attila), and my ep on Tokugawa Ieyasu is on this
          > Sunday. (Ironically, the Japanese drama is on Sunday, Dec. 7. Gotta
          > love it.)

          Just tested the new-and-improved "search" function on my cable box to
          find it. It's so set to record...

          andy
        • Scott
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
            wrote:

            Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be completely
            right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
            saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was all I
            had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I think.
            But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
            that they left out things they thought weren't important, and changed
            things to make the story more entertaining.

          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
              As is mine...I don't have cable, but rather Direct TV...and I finally
              found the channel...so we're all set to record it!

              Kiri--looking forward to seeing the program...

              Andrew T Trembley wrote:

              > Anthony Bryant wrote:
              > > The series itself is about several great historical military leaders
              > > at their crossroads: Attila, Cortes, Napoleon, Richard the
              > > Lionhearted, Spartacus, and Ieyasu. It's showing this week (starting
              > > Friday night with Attila), and my ep on Tokugawa Ieyasu is on this
              > > Sunday. (Ironically, the Japanese drama is on Sunday, Dec. 7. Gotta
              > > love it.)
              > >

              > Just tested the new-and-improved "search" function on my cable box to
              > find it. It's so set to record...
              >
              > andy

            • Anthony Bryant
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:

                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be completely
                > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
                > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was all I
                > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I think.
                > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
                > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and changed
                > things to make the story more entertaining.

                Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been left
                out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters -- and
                there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.

                Effingham
              • Rich Goble
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                  As is mine. I was actually inspired to get off my backside and upgrade to a cable box w/DVR for this show.

                  - Imagawa

                  > The series itself is about several great historical military leaders
                  > at their crossroads: Attila, Cortes, Napoleon, Richard the
                  > Lionhearted, Spartacus, and Ieyasu. It's showing this week (starting
                  > Friday night with Attila), and my ep on Tokugawa Ieyasu is on this
                  > Sunday. (Ironically, the Japanese drama is on Sunday, Dec. 7. Gotta
                  > love it.)

                  Just tested the new-and-improved "search" function on my cable box to
                  find it. It's so set to record...

                  andy

                • savan39
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                    Is it only on the Military Channel? because if it is, I wont be able
                    to see it :(
                  • Aaron Grossman
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                      hopefully, bittorrent will be our friend...

                      Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

                      ________________________________
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                        My DVR has been set since this past Sunday when I saw the ad during
                        the Richard the Lion Heart episode. Tonight I caught part of an
                        episoide, which I set the DVR to record the repeat, of a show called
                        Trial by Fire. I do not know about the show, but in this episode a
                        guy spends a week practicing Yabusame. I don't know how it is since I
                        had to go to work part way through the episode, but I thought I would
                        mention it for anyone who might be interested in keeping an eye out
                        for it. That one was on the regular History Channel though. As for
                        the ninja attack in the Warriors episode...... and here I was
                        thinking it was just Americans who had to try to stick ninja into
                        ANYTHING involving samurai haha.

                        wrote:

                        > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
                        >
                        > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
                        completely
                        > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
                        > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
                        all I
                        > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
                        think.
                        > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
                        > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
                        changed
                        > > things to make the story more entertaining.
                        > >

                        > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
                        left
                        > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
                        and
                        > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
                        >

                        > Effingham

                      • Rich Goble
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                          Trial by Fire episode info and viewing schedule (for the Yabusame episode):

                          http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=389288

                          Also, there is a show called "Time Warp" on the Discovery Channel, where the show's creators capture various things using high speed photography. One episode is called "Samurai Sword Master". The main segment shows a Western samurai master performing tamashigiri (tatami mat cutting), which is interesting to watch. They have the guy come back in the new episode "Barefooter", where his segment involves him cutting a whole salmon and various pig parts with a katana because the show's creators "thought it would be more realistic than cutting tatami mats". Both episodes will be on in the next few days:

                          http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/time-warp/episode/episode.html

                          - Imagawa

                          wrote:

                          > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
                          >
                          > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@ >
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
                          completely
                          > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
                          > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
                          all I
                          > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
                          think.
                          > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
                          > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
                          changed
                          > > things to make the story more entertaining.
                          > >

                          > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
                          left
                          > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
                          and
                          > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
                          >

                          > Effingham

                        • Chibasama Ryúichiro
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                            It was on a couple nights ago (I think...DVR), very kewl stuff. It went
                            thru a huge, fat ham like butter. Didn't even pause on the bone. You could
                            tell the guy was a bit nervous about it...he was making excuses about pig
                            bone being denser than human bone before the cut. His concern was
                            misguided. They also asked him what he wanted to see, and he opted for
                            water balloons...also kewl stuff.

                            It was interesting to note that with the hams and the water balloons (but
                            NOT the mat), there was a compression wave traveling right in front of the
                            blade.

                            Live, Love, Learn!
                            -Chiba

                            wrote:

                            > On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Scott wrote:
                            >
                            > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@ >
                            > > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > Well no of course not. If i did expect commercials to be
                            completely
                            > > right then I would have had to rethink watching the episode when I
                            > > saw it. However, since it has not aired yet the commercial was
                            all I
                            > > had to form my initial opinion. I will watch it and see what I
                            think.
                            > > But regardless of the commercial it is a docudrama. Thus I expect
                            > > that they left out things they thought weren't important, and
                            changed
                            > > things to make the story more entertaining.
                            > >

                            > Oh, definitely. Like I said, several important people have been
                            left
                            > out, and some of their actions conflated with other characters --
                            and
                            > there is that bogus ninja attack <shudder>.
                            >

                            > Effingham

                          • Cowan Jeremy
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                              ----- Original Message -----From: Rich Goble
                              > Also, there is a show called "Time Warp" on the Discovery <BR>> Channel, where the show's creators capture various things using
                              > high speed photography. One episode is called "Samurai Sword
                              > Master". The main segment shows a Western samurai
                              > master performing tamashigiri (tatami mat cutting)

                              Just FYI, the "Western samurai" is James Williams http://www.dojoofthefourwinds.com/instructor.html

                              If his resume concerns you, be assured that he knows cutting, which is what he is really being asked to do in this show.

                              Jeremy

                            • JL Badgley
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                                On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Scott <scottc_4@...> wrote:
                                > I don't mean this to be a critcism of any of the work that you did
                                > Anthony. I saw the commercials for that episode, and I must say I was
                                > a little dismayed at the mistakes just in the commercials. They
                                > portray Ieyasu as a man devoted to a DYING EMPEROR and that he takes
                                > on Japan's LONGEST LASTING DYNASTY.... ummmm what.... These are
                                > either glaring inaccuracies, or a poor choice of words that give off
                                > the totally wrong impression. Although I cannot be too surprised

                                I've seen the episode in question. For those with a deep
                                understanding of history, it is going to have some glaring
                                inaccuracies, but I didn't get anything like what you are mentioning
                                from what I saw. Most of the inaccuracies involve shortening a very
                                complex political process, reducing the number of characters, and
                                putting it together in a way that makes sense.

                                I should also mention that it is all in English. This jarred me at
                                first, probably because the quality and everything else leads me to
                                expect Japanese. Then again, I don't find it weird that Rome is
                                entirely in English, so I think it is just a bias on my part.

                                I also know that BBC did not always listen to Hiraizumi-dono's advice.
                                Of potential interest: consulting historians are considered to be
                                'on the dole' of the production company, so they can't be used to
                                endorse the work. Thus, the production company gets an 'independent'
                                historian to look over the work and attest to the accuracy of it.
                                Thus, while Hiraizumi-dono's name appears in the credits, a rather
                                more popular name appears more prominently; I think this is rather a
                                disservice, but at the same time, you can legitimately blame the
                                second historian for approving all the inaccuracies, while I'm afraid
                                Hiraizumi-dono was left without veto power.

                                All that said, I really enjoyed this. I think that it is especially
                                good for people with little or no knowledge of Japanese history to
                                help them to understand an important time and place, as well as a
                                talented politican and general.