Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Non-matching kataginu?

  • Heather Law
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 19 2:11 PM
      Interesting.... Thank you! I was wondering cause I have several
      (totally non-period) haori that minus the sleeves and side panels, might
      make good kataginu - but I don't have fabric to make a hakama to match them.

      Edwinna

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 19 2:30 PM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Heather Law <nlaw001@...> wrote:

        > Interesting.... Thank you! I was wondering cause I have several
        > (totally non-period) haori that minus the sleeves and side panels,
        might
        > make good kataginu - but I don't have fabric to make a hakama to
        match them.

        You could just take off the sleeves, leave the sides sewn up and wear
        it as a sleeveless dofuku, like the man in the black, red and green
        sitting next to the picnic service in "The Maple Viewers,"
        http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0042445.jpg

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 19 2:43 PM
          Oops - meant to mention this before and forgot. If you think of
          hitatare kamishimo as the 16th century samurai's "tuxedo" (most formal
          outfit), the kataginu kamishimo is the "business suit." Think of the
          dobuku as a casual "jacket."

          Have you been here? http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.html
          HIraizumi-sensei has a good overview of men's clothing and how they're
          worn.

        • Heather Law
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 19 2:45 PM
            Great! I'll look on the Sengokudaimyo site to see what I'd be wearing
            under it...

            Edwinna

            wodeford wrote:

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > Heather Law <nlaw001@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Interesting.... Thank you! I was wondering cause I have several
            > > (totally non-period) haori that minus the sleeves and side panels,
            > might
            > > make good kataginu - but I don't have fabric to make a hakama to
            > match them.
            >
            > You could just take off the sleeves, leave the sides sewn up and wear
            > it as a sleeveless dofuku, like the man in the black, red and green
            > sitting next to the picnic service in "The Maple Viewers,"
            > http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0042445.jpg
            > <http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0042445.jpg>
            >
            > Saionji no Hanae
            > West Kingdom