Re: Non-matching kataginu?

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Heather Law <nlaw001@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know if they ever wore a kataginu that didn't match the
      > hakama, maybe in earlier period?

      Found a possible in this 17th century (Post SCA period) screen:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/2024955765/sizes/o/in/set-72157603177707014/

    • Heather Law
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
        Interesting.... Thank you! I was wondering cause I have several
        (totally non-period) haori that minus the sleeves and side panels, might
        make good kataginu - but I don't have fabric to make a hakama to match them.

        Edwinna

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Heather Law <nlaw001@...> wrote:

          > Interesting.... Thank you! I was wondering cause I have several
          > (totally non-period) haori that minus the sleeves and side panels,
          might
          > make good kataginu - but I don't have fabric to make a hakama to
          match them.

          You could just take off the sleeves, leave the sides sewn up and wear
          it as a sleeveless dofuku, like the man in the black, red and green
          sitting next to the picnic service in "The Maple Viewers,"
          http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0042445.jpg

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
            Oops - meant to mention this before and forgot. If you think of
            hitatare kamishimo as the 16th century samurai's "tuxedo" (most formal
            outfit), the kataginu kamishimo is the "business suit." Think of the
            dobuku as a casual "jacket."

            Have you been here? http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.html
            HIraizumi-sensei has a good overview of men's clothing and how they're
            worn.

          • Heather Law
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
              Great! I'll look on the Sengokudaimyo site to see what I'd be wearing
              under it...

              Edwinna

              wodeford wrote:

              > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > Heather Law <nlaw001@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Interesting.... Thank you! I was wondering cause I have several
              > > (totally non-period) haori that minus the sleeves and side panels,
              > might
              > > make good kataginu - but I don't have fabric to make a hakama to
              > match them.
              >
              > You could just take off the sleeves, leave the sides sewn up and wear
              > it as a sleeveless dofuku, like the man in the black, red and green
              > sitting next to the picnic service in "The Maple Viewers,"
              > http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0042445.jpg
              > <http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0042445.jpg>
              >
              > Saionji no Hanae
              > West Kingdom