Re: [SCA-JML] quick question

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 18, 2008

      Greetings from Solveig! It sounds like I've lagged way behind the
      ongoing discussion. There is actually a pretty broad range of Heian
      dance costumes out there. First, you need to take into account
      different dance forms taken from different groups within Japanese
      society. Are you interested primarily in kagura, shirabyoshi, bugaku,
      dengaku, &c. ?? I very much agree that you should take a tour of the
      costume museum, but that is only scratching the surface. For that
      matter, I recall that Sei Shonagon makes it clear that courtiers and
      court ladies performed ritual/customary "dances" on various occasions.