Re: [SCA-JML] Re: New to SCA and need some assistance

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 17, 2008

      > As the SCA assumes we are all in some way nobility, would it be too
      > much to assume a (somewhat) high rank and thus keeping in tact the
      > story of escaping to the mountains after being on the unfortunate
      > side of a battle?
      Sorry, but it really doesn't work that well from a Japanese point of
      view.
      You might try to go for something rather different involving surviving
      a battle and taking Buddhist vows similar to the fellow that kills
      Atsumori, but that would put you in mainstream Buddhism, it would
      not have you be part of the yamabushi cult. Regardless, the most
      typical reason for folks to abandon life and take to the mountains
      involves some sort of penance in a Buddhist sense. It has little to do
      with escape unless you decide to be a bandit for some reason or other.
      Basically, you will find four types in the mountains: bandits, hermits,
      rustic peasants, and to some extent yamabushi. The problem with
      yamabushi though is that they don't actually take refuge in the
      mountains.
      They actually make pilgrimages into the mountains. The cult exists
      today.
      I recall seeing at least on one occasion a group of such pilgrims in the
      mountains.