Re: [SCA-JML] Translation Please!!!!

  • Franzi Dickson
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 13, 2008
      The "alphabets" in Japanese are called "kana" (hiragana and katakana). Modern Japanese is usually written in a combination of hiragana, katakana, and kanji. Are you asking for a quote from the film written in modern Japanese? Is there some reason you want to avoid kanji?

      --Franzi

      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 17, 2008

        > Komyoji is the temple im from. Manabu is my given name and it means
        > study. maro i read was an appropriate finisher to a name and it means
        > self. kokaku is my describing name or nick name and it means loan
        > traveller. as im playing a travailing monk.

        I'm afraid that I am rather skeptical about this. LOTS of monks went on
        pilgrimages, study trips, and what naught. Also, if you were a monk,
        then
        you would have had a name in religion. That is simply how things worked.
        One of the things that I did do was look up several Jodo sect monks.
        They
        do not appear to have been known by the formal names of their temple,
        but there were examples of being known by oblique reference. Manabu
        does indeed mean study, but I do not understand why a monk would be
        known as 学麻呂 Manabumaro. Unless you are fairly early, -maro is an
        ending for a childhood name. Yet, you claim to be a wandering monk.
        Monasteries just didn't send their young acolytes out the door like
        that.
        Also, I suspect that you are way too old for such a name unless you are
        from a comparatively early period.