Re: hello im new

  • oracron111
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 5, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:32 PM, oracron111 <oracron111@...> wrote:
      > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@> wrote:
      >
      > > thanks for the reply i know vary little other then what ive seen
      on
      > > that page and what i have read about jodo today. the period im
      going
      > > for is Muromachi. some time after the war involving the jodo
      monks.
      > > cant remember the exact war but it had to do with the jodo monks
      > > being called upon to defend the lord.
      >
      > Sorry about the pictures... I forget that the English side of the
      site
      > doesn't link to the individual costumes the same way. Let me repost
      > those for you.
      >
      > As for the war you are talking about: What source are you using for
      > that? Where did you hear about it? I'm not familiar with anything
      > quite like what you are talking about. More information might be
      > helpful.
      >
      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/12.htm
      >
      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/32.htm
      >
      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/31.htm
      >
      > -Ii

      heres the site i got it from
      http://www.geocities.com/odamachi2/nihongi6.htm
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 17, 2008

        > Komyoji is the temple im from. Manabu is my given name and it means
        > study. maro i read was an appropriate finisher to a name and it means
        > self. kokaku is my describing name or nick name and it means loan
        > traveller. as im playing a travailing monk.

        I'm afraid that I am rather skeptical about this. LOTS of monks went on
        pilgrimages, study trips, and what naught. Also, if you were a monk,
        then
        you would have had a name in religion. That is simply how things worked.
        One of the things that I did do was look up several Jodo sect monks.
        They
        do not appear to have been known by the formal names of their temple,
        but there were examples of being known by oblique reference. Manabu
        does indeed mean study, but I do not understand why a monk would be
        known as 学麻呂 Manabumaro. Unless you are fairly early, -maro is an
        ending for a childhood name. Yet, you claim to be a wandering monk.
        Monasteries just didn't send their young acolytes out the door like
        that.
        Also, I suspect that you are way too old for such a name unless you are
        from a comparatively early period.