Re: hello im new

  • oracron111
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 4, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:22 PM, oracron111 <oracron111@...> wrote:
      > > hi I'm new to sca and i plan on being a jodo monk Ive look at this
      > > website and found allot of info
      > >
      > > http://www.geocities.com/mokuraibozu/Links.html
      > >
      > > but i need more info on jodo sect specifically. i need to know
      what
      > > colours they wear and what they wear when they are
      warriors.pictures
      > > would help allot. in fact anything you can offer in the lines of
      info
      > > would help.
      > >
      > What do you know about Jodo already? Do you know anything beyond
      > Mokurai-bo's page? Knowing where to begin, we might be able to
      better
      > help you.
      >
      > Also, get thee to a library! Look up Buddhism and then look up
      either
      > 'Jodo' or 'Pure Land' and you should find quite a bit. Actually, a
      > Google search will turn up a lot of stuff as well.
      >
      > When you talk about doing a 'Jodo' monk and 'what they wear when
      they
      > are warriors'--look up 'sohei'.
      >
      > Also, what period? Kamakura? Muromachi? Azuchi? Momoyama?
      >
      > Here are some clothing references:
      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/index.htm
      >
      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/index.htm
      >
      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/index.htm
      >
      > Of course, only the first is specifically a sect of Jodo.
      >
      > -Ii Katsumori

      thanks for the reply i know vary little other then what ive seen on
      that page and what i have read about jodo today. the period im going
      for is Muromachi. some time after the war involving the jodo monks.
      cant remember the exact war but it had to do with the jodo monks
      being called upon to defend the lord.

      ill head to the library tomorrow to get studying thanks for the
      suggestion.

      oh and by the way im a man :)

      kirk
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 17, 2008

        > Komyoji is the temple im from. Manabu is my given name and it means
        > study. maro i read was an appropriate finisher to a name and it means
        > self. kokaku is my describing name or nick name and it means loan
        > traveller. as im playing a travailing monk.

        I'm afraid that I am rather skeptical about this. LOTS of monks went on
        pilgrimages, study trips, and what naught. Also, if you were a monk,
        then
        you would have had a name in religion. That is simply how things worked.
        One of the things that I did do was look up several Jodo sect monks.
        They
        do not appear to have been known by the formal names of their temple,
        but there were examples of being known by oblique reference. Manabu
        does indeed mean study, but I do not understand why a monk would be
        known as 学麻呂 Manabumaro. Unless you are fairly early, -maro is an
        ending for a childhood name. Yet, you claim to be a wandering monk.
        Monasteries just didn't send their young acolytes out the door like
        that.
        Also, I suspect that you are way too old for such a name unless you are
        from a comparatively early period.