Re: kumihimo

  • luannesews2001
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

      > Original question - is Takadai period.

      On Masako Kinoshita's website, lmbric (loop manipulated braid research
      & information center) she gives the opinion, based on dissecting extant
      braids and counting the number of strands, as well as looking at the
      structure that a lot of early braids were made by multiple braiders
      using handlooping rather than with any sort of stand and bobbin
      system. She said the same thing at the Kyoto kumihimo conference last
      year and that the research on how it was done was ongoing.

      Karakumidai, which uses much lighter bobbins and finger-tensioning
      makes a very different braid structure, basically they are wide, flat
      braids. I don't think you could use a karakumidai to make the sort of
      double braid you can make on a takadai.

      Luighseach
    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
        --- On Tue, 11/4/08, luannesews2001 <Luiseach@...> wrote:

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

        > Original question - is Takadai period.

        On Masako Kinoshita's website, lmbric (loop manipulated braid research

        & information center)
        Thank you so much for the website. Fascinating stuff!
        Karakumidai, which uses much lighter bobbins and finger-tensioning

        makes a very different braid structure, basically they are wide, flat

        braids. I don't think you could use a karakumidai to make the sort of

        double braid you can make on a takadai.
        Again, Thank you for the information.
        However, I am still interested in the original question of whether the takadai is period or not. My understanding is that evidence is somewhat speculative. Are there period examples that were most likely done on a takadai? Thanks again,Ki no Izumi

      • Jennifer Kobayashi
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
          My apologies for the wonky formatting of the previous message. Please forgive me. I will try again:

          --- On Tue, 11/4/08, luannesews2001 <Luiseach@aol. com> wrote:
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

          >> Original question - is Takadai period.
          > On Masako Kinoshita's website, lmbric (loop manipulated braid research
          > & information center)

          Thank you so much for the website. Fascinating stuff!

          > Karakumidai, which uses much lighter bobbins and finger-tensioning
          > makes a very different braid structure, basically they are wide, flat
          > braids. I don't think you could use a karakumidai to make the sort of
          > double braid you can make on a takadai.

          Again, Thank you for the information.

          However, I am still interested in the original question of whether the takadai is period or not. My understanding is that evidence is somewhat speculative. Are there period examples that were most likely done on a takadai? Thanks again,

          Ki no Izumi
        • danabren
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
            Thank you all for the information, it helped greatly :)

            Kurokamakiri/Danabren
            East