RE: [SCA-JML] kumihimo

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
      Original question - is Takadai period.

      --- On Mon, 11/3/08, Deb Strub <tsuruko@...> wrote:
      > I am reasonably sure that it is. I've seen reproductions of Nara and
      > Heian braids that have such a large number of bobbins that they had to
      > have been done on the takadai. I can't seem to find the book that's in
      > but if/when I find it I'll let you know.

      Please bear with me; this is not my area of expertise, but something I am interested in. I am not aware that number of bobbins is indicative that it has to have been done on a takadai:

      For instance here:
      http://www.englisch.kumihimo.de/html/history.html
      (scroll to history section)
      is a reproduction of a 14th century braid: the 14th century braid was originally _finger loop braided_ by two people, but the _modern reproduction_ was braided on a takadai using 56 bobbins.

      Also that a karakumidai - which appears to be documentable to Heian times, would allow a large number of bobbins as well although not as many patterns as a takadai.

      If you have more/other information, I would be delighted to be enlightened. Thank you for your attention,

      Ki no Izumi
    • luannesews2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

        > Original question - is Takadai period.

        On Masako Kinoshita's website, lmbric (loop manipulated braid research
        & information center) she gives the opinion, based on dissecting extant
        braids and counting the number of strands, as well as looking at the
        structure that a lot of early braids were made by multiple braiders
        using handlooping rather than with any sort of stand and bobbin
        system. She said the same thing at the Kyoto kumihimo conference last
        year and that the research on how it was done was ongoing.

        Karakumidai, which uses much lighter bobbins and finger-tensioning
        makes a very different braid structure, basically they are wide, flat
        braids. I don't think you could use a karakumidai to make the sort of
        double braid you can make on a takadai.

        Luighseach
      • Jennifer Kobayashi
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
          --- On Tue, 11/4/08, luannesews2001 <Luiseach@...> wrote:

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

          > Original question - is Takadai period.

          On Masako Kinoshita's website, lmbric (loop manipulated braid research

          & information center)
          Thank you so much for the website. Fascinating stuff!
          Karakumidai, which uses much lighter bobbins and finger-tensioning

          makes a very different braid structure, basically they are wide, flat

          braids. I don't think you could use a karakumidai to make the sort of

          double braid you can make on a takadai.
          Again, Thank you for the information.
          However, I am still interested in the original question of whether the takadai is period or not. My understanding is that evidence is somewhat speculative. Are there period examples that were most likely done on a takadai? Thanks again,Ki no Izumi

        • Jennifer Kobayashi
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
            My apologies for the wonky formatting of the previous message. Please forgive me. I will try again:

            --- On Tue, 11/4/08, luannesews2001 <Luiseach@aol. com> wrote:
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

            >> Original question - is Takadai period.
            > On Masako Kinoshita's website, lmbric (loop manipulated braid research
            > & information center)

            Thank you so much for the website. Fascinating stuff!

            > Karakumidai, which uses much lighter bobbins and finger-tensioning
            > makes a very different braid structure, basically they are wide, flat
            > braids. I don't think you could use a karakumidai to make the sort of
            > double braid you can make on a takadai.

            Again, Thank you for the information.

            However, I am still interested in the original question of whether the takadai is period or not. My understanding is that evidence is somewhat speculative. Are there period examples that were most likely done on a takadai? Thanks again,

            Ki no Izumi
          • danabren
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
              Thank you all for the information, it helped greatly :)

              Kurokamakiri/Danabren
              East