Re: [SCA-JML] Fun vs authenticity: the false dichotomy

  • Jeanel Walker
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 2, 2008
      I think the problem is that some people take too personally the advise or information that others give when they are meet with a person who is very authentic ....they in there heart what to be so but dint want to be made out as a nerd or they dint have the time or resources to make sure what they have is perfect....sometimes others tend to make others feel that if it isn't perfect then you didn't try.
      its the lack of communication and the feeling of not being up to standers that make one dose  not have fun.

      once you come to the knowledge of how a person communicates and how there personality is...you can realize they are just zealous about the information they worked so long and hard to obtain....not everyone has the natural teaching ability to give information across without sounding condescending.

      we all tend to raise our voice when we are in a passionate debate...we all tend to take personally when we have work on an outfit then another tell us its not right...they dint mean it the way it sounds, I sure they were only trying to help.
      however you still have this depressed feeling and that's when it no longer fun....

      you dint have to be authentic to have fun, however its an awesome feeling you get when you look into the eyes who you are explaining the information of what your wearing and they have an awe to the extent of knowledge and the hard work you put into it. From an outsider they dint know what its suppose to look like. I find that in all thing in life is the misinformation that tends to harm.

      when a child dose a report in calls on the event they saw or person they interviewed, and the information is wrong they are hurt by a bad grade.

      when a cousin from another country come to have fun with us and see you are misrepresenting there culture or history, they can be offended. And feel like you dint care to learn there ways, your just poking fun.

      when you take on a persona of a class of people you want to represent them in the best possible manner. especially when honor chivalry and respect is the foundation of any successful life, gathering or adventure we all undertake.

      just an observation from a small soul that has been all over and seen so much.
      I hope this can sooth the souls that have felt the confusion that so many rules can offer.
      And understand the reasons for them.

      Change is in the heart... age is in the mind... Beauty and or truth is in the eye of the beholder....But Kindness is Eternal.
      Jeanel Walker

      Message 57 of 57 , Nov 2, 2008
        I live in the kingdom whose members include Japanese-Americans and
        native Japanese.

        I have the duty and the honor of attempting to portray a Japanese lady
        in a manner that honors their heritage and does not give offense. I am
        deeply touched and honored by the positive response I have received
        from them - and I have a growing, much treasured collection of cell
        phone charms that one gentleman from the Barony of the Far West keeps
        adding to every time he visits the US. (He has, in turn, been made a
        Companion of the Order of the Cheerful Monkey.)