Re: [SCA-JML] Samurai Women Warriors

    Message 1 of 57 , Oct 30, 2008

      > Like Rick said there were those who disguised themselves, but the
      > other thing to remember is that the C stands for Creative. It may
      > not be strictly period for a woman to fight and wear men's clothes
      > and still be known as a woman, but we're also Anachronists - out of
      > our proper place in time. We work from a modern framework to
      > recreate the BEST parts of the culture.

      Please do not use the name of the organization as an argument for
      anything. The name was invented on the spur of the moment by a single
      individual when she was reserving a public park in San Francisco back
      in the 1960's. The fact is that the current rules of the organization
      allow women to fight and do not impose any "persona" requirements on
      anyone as a precondition to fighting.

      Message 57 of 57 , Nov 2, 2008
        I live in the kingdom whose members include Japanese-Americans and
        native Japanese.

        I have the duty and the honor of attempting to portray a Japanese lady
        in a manner that honors their heritage and does not give offense. I am
        deeply touched and honored by the positive response I have received
        from them - and I have a growing, much treasured collection of cell
        phone charms that one gentleman from the Barony of the Far West keeps
        adding to every time he visits the US. (He has, in turn, been made a
        Companion of the Order of the Cheerful Monkey.)