Honorifics

  • Leonora Radovcic
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hello to all on this list. I have a few questions. There are some
      honorifics that I am not sure what they mean. Or I thouht I knew what
      they meant. I'm not 100% sure if the Japanese/English dictionaries out
      there vary from each other. I was trying to look up what the
      honorific -hime meant, as I've only seen it being used on this list; as
      well as -dono. I've always thought that -chan was used when referring
      to young women and small children. -san when referring to someone
      within the same age/class/rank. -sama when reffering to an elder of
      teacher. Correct me if anything I've wrote is wrong. So, the question
      is what and when does the honorific -hime and -dono used, and what it
      means. Thousand thanks.

      YIS
      Branimira
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Leonora Radovcic" <Lightpaws@...> wrote:

        > Hello to all on this list. I have a few questions. There are some
        > honorifics that I am not sure what they mean.

        Go to http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html and
        click on "Modes of address." Everything you need is there.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008

          Greetings from Solveig! The principal difference is between modern
          Japanese (which isn't quite as cut and dried as you imply) and
          pre-modern Japanese. You will use honorifics like "dono" used
          a LOT in jidaigeki (period) movies. Incidentally, "tono" (dono) can
          also be used as a pronoun. This honorific is still used in Japan,
          but primarily in formal writing. For example, it's Houmu Daijin dono.

        • Leonora Radovcic
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
            Thank you Solveig. I guess that was just a lot of manga and
            historical, fictional, Japanese novels I've read. But, if it's not
            so cut and dry, then dono and tono are the same, for equals? And can
            you give an example of an equal. Is that class or rank, or politics,
            or what? I read from a link someone sent that -hime is used among
            females who are equal.

            Sorry. I didn't realize there such depth into this. It's leaving me
            slightly confused. :(

            Branimira

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008

              > But, if it's not so cut and dry, then dono and tono are the same,
              > for equals?
              Ahh! Equals? That is not really how you tend to look at things in a
              Japanese
              context. Generally speaking, if you are dealing with someone who is not
              definitely your inferior, you tentatively treat them as a superior.
              There is an
              interesting kyōgen play in which two farmers meet in the forrest on
              their way
              to pay their taxes. They both treat each other as a superior until
              they realize
              that they are both farmers. Also, in a Japanese context, people
              generally
              avoid using names.