kumihimo

  • danabren
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
      Greetings to the list.

      Is a takadai period to the SCA for creating kumihino?

      Thanks in advance,
      Kurokamakiri/Danabren
    • Deb Strub
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
        I am reasonably sure that it is. I've seen reproductions of Nara and Heian
        braids that have such a large number of bobbins that they had to have been
        done on the takadai. I can't seem to find the book that's in but if/when I
        find it I'll let you know.

        YIS,

        Murakami Tsuruko

        Kingdom of An Tir

        _____

        Is a takadai period to the SCA for creating kumihino?

        Thanks in advance,
        Kurokamakiri/Danabren

      • Jennifer Kobayashi
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
          Original question - is Takadai period.

          --- On Mon, 11/3/08, Deb Strub <tsuruko@...> wrote:
          > I am reasonably sure that it is. I've seen reproductions of Nara and
          > Heian braids that have such a large number of bobbins that they had to
          > have been done on the takadai. I can't seem to find the book that's in
          > but if/when I find it I'll let you know.

          Please bear with me; this is not my area of expertise, but something I am interested in. I am not aware that number of bobbins is indicative that it has to have been done on a takadai:

          For instance here:
          http://www.englisch.kumihimo.de/html/history.html
          (scroll to history section)
          is a reproduction of a 14th century braid: the 14th century braid was originally _finger loop braided_ by two people, but the _modern reproduction_ was braided on a takadai using 56 bobbins.

          Also that a karakumidai - which appears to be documentable to Heian times, would allow a large number of bobbins as well although not as many patterns as a takadai.

          If you have more/other information, I would be delighted to be enlightened. Thank you for your attention,

          Ki no Izumi
        • luannesews2001
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

            > Original question - is Takadai period.

            On Masako Kinoshita's website, lmbric (loop manipulated braid research
            & information center) she gives the opinion, based on dissecting extant
            braids and counting the number of strands, as well as looking at the
            structure that a lot of early braids were made by multiple braiders
            using handlooping rather than with any sort of stand and bobbin
            system. She said the same thing at the Kyoto kumihimo conference last
            year and that the research on how it was done was ongoing.

            Karakumidai, which uses much lighter bobbins and finger-tensioning
            makes a very different braid structure, basically they are wide, flat
            braids. I don't think you could use a karakumidai to make the sort of
            double braid you can make on a takadai.

            Luighseach
          • Jennifer Kobayashi
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
              --- On Tue, 11/4/08, luannesews2001 <Luiseach@...> wrote:

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

              > Original question - is Takadai period.

              On Masako Kinoshita's website, lmbric (loop manipulated braid research

              & information center)
              Thank you so much for the website. Fascinating stuff!
              Karakumidai, which uses much lighter bobbins and finger-tensioning

              makes a very different braid structure, basically they are wide, flat

              braids. I don't think you could use a karakumidai to make the sort of

              double braid you can make on a takadai.
              Again, Thank you for the information.
              However, I am still interested in the original question of whether the takadai is period or not. My understanding is that evidence is somewhat speculative. Are there period examples that were most likely done on a takadai? Thanks again,Ki no Izumi

            • Jennifer Kobayashi
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
                My apologies for the wonky formatting of the previous message. Please forgive me. I will try again:

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
                  Thank you all for the information, it helped greatly :)

                  Kurokamakiri/Danabren
                  East