Happy Halloween!

  • seki_nakagawa
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2008
      May your day be feel with spooks and gouls, may your screams be heard
      in the after world and all your nightmares come true!!!! Happy
      Halloween!!!

      Humbly,
      -Sukeie

      P.S. I know is not a Japanese holiday.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2008

        > P.S. I know is not a Japanese holiday.
        Don't underestimate the Japanese tendency to import holidays:
        http://www.h-jp.info/
        I've even seen Japanese celebrate American Independence Day.

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2008
          On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:25 PM, seki_nakagawa <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:
          > May your day be feel with spooks and gouls, may your screams be heard
          > in the after world and all your nightmares come true!!!! Happy
          > Halloween!!!

          Happy All Saints' Day!

          Last evening we had fun. With a little less than an hour before child
          arrival we came up with this:

          http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2298/2988579611_52cef1ac21_m.jpg

          It *should* be done with cloth or heavier paper, and a black gauze for
          the eyes would be good, but it worked as intended. Had to attach it
          to the kanmuri because the printer paper didn't react well when we
          tried to tie it to my head in the hot and humid (even inside) Bangkok
          climate.

          We're considering when we come home getting a bunch of these made, and
          maybe doing a procession around Pennsic with any and all who would
          want to come. Of course, the problem is we probably won't make
          Pennsic again until we are back in the US

          I was considering various other Japanese beasties. We just finished
          watching the "Great Yokai War" (Yokai Daisenso) and all of the various
          yokai in it are terrific. Yeah, it is cheesy and
          rubber-monsterlicious, but I recognized many of the yokai being
          portrayed. Although the bean-washer really made me wonder, don't some
          of these Japanese ghosts sound like the results of bad attempts at
          impromptu storytelling around a campfire?

          "It was a dark and rainy night. The woodcutter was out in the woods
          all alone. He knew he had strayed too far from the path, and now, he
          had little hope of finding his way home, off the cursed mountain.
          Suddenly, he heard a sound in the dark, coming from farther up the
          mountain. He looked, and saw a small light through the trees.
          Slowly, slowly he made his way through the thick forest towards the
          light, hoping to find a place to rest. At a small clearing, he saw a
          tiny hut, in which a small lamp, flickered, and he heard a sound, as
          of teeth gnashing or tiny stones rubbing together. With trepidation,
          he approached the hut, and peered inside.

          There, he saw an old man, sitting, with his back to the door. He sat
          there, his hands moving back and forth, intent on his task.

          Quietly, the woodcutter entered the hut, and craned his head around to
          see what the man was doing. His eyes widened in horror as her
          realized the truth. This old man was...

          ...WASHING BEANS!"

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2008

            > Quietly, the woodcutter entered the hut, and craned his head around to
            > see what the man was doing. His eyes widened in horror as her
            > realized the truth. This old man was...
            >
            > ...WASHING BEANS!"

            OOOBAAAAKE!
            YOOOOKAAAAIIIII!
            YUUUUUUREEEEIIIIII!

            Incidentally, there is this annual bad story writing contest. Maybe
            you should enter. You demonstrated real talent with your bean washing
            story.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
              > Last evening we had fun. With a little less than an hour before child
              > arrival we came up with this:
              >
              > http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2298/2988579611_52cef1ac21_m.jpg

              I LOVE IT!!!!! That's even better than the guy who came to last
              night's party in a baroque wig made out of a paper grocery bag with
              paper penny rolls glued all over it.

              (Inquiring minds may see my costume - and documentation even - at
              http://gurdymonkey.livejournal.com/247459.html
              For some of us, research IS part of the fun.)